Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

comments on "decline or resurrection?"

Spiritual resource to share: inspired comments

I had a couple of exchanges on the posting about church two days ago that I loved and wanted to bring it out in a post of its own. Please add your comments on this important topic below.

Comments on "Decline or Resurrection" from Monday:

Anonymous said...
While I enjoyed awhat you wrote, I could not help wanting to respond immediately. I like to visit other churches from time to time, and I have seen first hand how the Christian Science churches are ALWAYS the smallest in #. Rather than getting a tad too metaphysical about it, I realized that thelesson -sermons can be boring,there isn't a lot of liveliness or simply a response to the world as it out pictures today. I myself avoid church yet dig into my lesson daily. I find that our churches have lost something and to overlook it by explaining it away metaphysically is to miss an impotant opportnity for positive growth and change.



Kim said...
Thanks anon - you bring up such a great point! Thank you so much for writing.


Effective prayer leads to action - exactly to those opportunities for positive growth and change. I have found some great conversations and positive solutions coming through some discussion groups on tmcyouth.com. Check it out and do a search for "church services" or whatever specific topic you want to get in on. Click here for one such topic.

I love that you keep digging into the lesson. That is the heart and soul of church. I have found my practice of church goes beyond church walls. And as more people start talking about church, finding ways to make the services as vital as our practice of Christian Science, we will see our communities blessed more and more. (Because healing and blessing is what church is about. Church has never been about numbers - it's about enlarging the healing and blessing in our communities)

Did you check out the link to christianscience.com at the end of my post? It's got more interesting thoughts about this topic. Oh I so agree. We cannot explain it away metaphysically. We need thoughtful humble insight, a willingness to jetison the baggage of pride and tradition, and a willingness to run to the increasing opportunities there are right now to share Christian Science and to heal. In my small community I have found so many receptive hearts..I could go on and on........but I am very encouraged by your remarks.

Take heart. Resurrection is happening and it happens with individuals who demand a vital, healing and practical expression of Christian Science from themselves first and then from their churches.

Kate said...
Perhaps church is going to look very different today...could the connections, philanthropic opportunities, service netowrks, etc. that we are finding online and IN our communities...not just near them...becoming our church without walls.


I remember one Sunday in particular, when I was conducting the service in our small branch church, some 15 years ago. All week I had been thinking and praying with the statement from II Kings: "And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha." I suddenly could look out at the small congregation and SEE a full church. And I decided to take that view outside of the walls with me.

Where as inside I could see vibrant, inclusive, active thinking members, outside I could see droves of scientifically Christian (kind, compassionate, patient, loving, honest) thinkers and DOERS...I am more fully discovering EVERYDAY that this is the only real "treatment" of any situation...Dear Father, open my eyes to what you have already created, ARE already doing, and already are to (and for) me, and mine, and all. Our churches ARE already full when we take down the walls....just a thought that has been helpful to me...it was nice visiting your "church" today Kim...love you, K


Kim said...
Thanks Kate for your comments! It reminds me of a verse from the Bible - from John - "Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest."







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: