Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

"Low, sad and sweet....."

Spiritual resource to share: quietness and peace


Friends and family have a a lot happening this month: Graduations, summer plans being made, school ending, houses being sold, moves being planned, new adventures ahead -- the month of May can be a lot about endings and beginnings.

In most major events, we say good bye and say hello almost in the same breath. Parting may be such sweet sorrow, but in that parting, there is a ripening of the human spirit.

When facing a major change in my life or my family's life, I have learned the wisdom of giving myself some quiet space to say goodbye. It gives me time to reflect and consider lessons learned. It gives me time to feel the gratitude for the experiences and people that make up my life experience.

"Low, sad and sweet" sums up the tone of these quiet times. It helps to recognize and reaffirm the ongoing nature of Love. This helps ease and then remove any sense of pain or separation. It awakens new gratitude for Life and reminds that however deep the struggle, however glorious the victory, God's "angel-throng of thoughts" are always present to comfort, guard and guide.

Mary Baker Eddy's poem "Christ, My Refuge" is like a blueprint for a soulful prayer of peace, satisfaction and progress.


O'er waiting harpstrings of the mind there sweeps a strain, low, sad, and sweet,
whose measures
bind the power of pain,
and wake a white-winged angel throng of thoughts, illumed by faith, and breathed in raptured song, with love perfumed.

Then His unveiled, sweet mercies show Life's burdens light. I kiss the cross, and wake to know a world more bright.

And o'er earth's troubled, angry sea I see Christ walk, and come to me, and tenderly, divinely talk.

Thus Truth engrounds me on the rock, upon Life's shore, 'gainst which the winds and waves can shock, oh, nevermore!

From tired joy and grief afar, and nearer Thee, — Father, where Thine own children are, I love to be.

My prayer, some daily good to do to Thine, for Thee; an offering pure of Love, whereto God leadeth me.







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Kim. Healing that need to come through tenderness are so profound and complete. Denying our emotions (or mixed emotions) and forcing change can be so jarring, but to let go of the sad feelings of saying goodbye, because we are ready to say goodbye, is so peaceful and affirming the value of that which we let go of! There was an instrument especially popular with the American transcendentalists, I don't know what it was called, kind of a dulcimer, or box with strings across it. They would put it in the window and the wind blowing gently over it would produced a gentle sound, perhaps harmonics are in play - but the sounds were random and very bittersweet- like major and minor mixed together. I have heard one and it is intriguing. Perhaps this was the object that inspired MBEddy's use of metaphor here.

Kate said...

Yes, giving ourselves the space to let our heart sing its song is what allows us to move forward...thank you dear friend for this reminder...love you, k.