Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

purity

Spiritual resource to share:  fresh starts



The Virtues Project was first introduced to me by one of my son's teachers.  It is a global project designed to encourage our practice of virtues, and everyday, you can have a new virtue pop up in your email. 

Today's virtue is purity.  Loving to play with synonyms of synonyms, I see that purity is also about truth, honesty, clarity.  The Virtues Project adds these characteristics to purity: keeping one's space orderly and cleaning up our mistakes, choosing responsibility over guilt.

There is something very empowering about taking responsibility for mistakes.  For instance, I was feeling badly for something I had forgotten to do for my son.  I spent some time grieving over it, feeling like a terrible mother and beating myself up with guilt.

But this aspect of purity - to take responsibility for my mistake - was a wake up call.  I immediately recognized that I made a mistake, forgave myself for it, and made the necessary changes to right the wrong.

There was a very clean feeling about it.  I felt no more guilt.  The mistake corrected, I could move on.

Purity gives us a clean slate, a fresh start.  And with that new promise, we are free to move forward.

No comments: