Pages

Friday, October 28, 2005

Finding Wonderland - Getting started in the Christian Science practice

Last spring, when my position with a publisher ended, I was ready for the next step, but also felt a tremendous sense of gratitude -- even a sacred sense of wonder -- of what we did, what was asked of us, what we found out and what we accomplished.

What was asked of us: My good friend and colleague and I traveled all over the world, supporting the distribution of a classic book on spirituality and healing to global book markets. The book was Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy -- which you will be hearing about often on this site.

We supported our publisher's own line of bookstores worldwide, as well as did some major exploring to place the book in markets that catered to the widest range of audiences: Muslims, Catholics, Hindis, general population, Mind/Body/Spirit groups, healthcare professionals, religion scholars, etc. etc.

What we found out -- and what I found out in particular -- was that the hunger for spirituality is here and everywhere, now and with no end in sight. The challenge of the work was to keep going in a straight line. The receptivity was everywhere!

How amazing it was to be able to go into a country, talk to book industry professionals and the public and learn what ideas their citizens are reading and valuing and to find out that spiritual ideas are the common link to us all.

As you will find out on my website and I'll continually be referring to it on this blog, the ideas in Science and Health actually heal. And as we introduced the book, hundreds of people who read it shared how they had been healed, uplifted, comforted simply by reading the book.

The largeness of this work of sharing and practicing the practical spiritual ideas in Science and Health still moves me. I remember driving into work one of my last days and saying - Well God, it is you and me again! Prior to that my prayer and work always involved many people, conversations, meetings, events in many languages. Now these experiences have time to ripen as they have deepened my understanding and confirmed my conviction that God, good speaks to every man and nation and that understanding God as good heals outward conflict and inner turmoil. These experiences have enlarged my pool of peace and expanded my hope for mankind.

Someone once asked if I miss my former job and I quickly said no. And I meant it. It is like asking: do you miss giving birth to your two sons? After giving birth to my sons, I remember being impressed at the strength and focus that women give to secure ongoing generations. What a hopeful thing it is to have a child and to care for a child as they grow! I do not miss the birthing process, but I love what is growing because of it.

Likewise, after working at this job, I am just as impressed at the possibilities that arise when there is such focus, devotion and strength of vision aligned with an unselfish love. We had a passion and love for the work of sharing Christian Science with the world. I love the focus and strength that that work demanded. And then we did it! The whole spectrum of human emotion was there: unbridled joy, doubt, compassion, relief, anger, brilliance, laughter, tears, - you get the picture. But what made it so worthwhile were the moments of prayer: the on your knees humble, winner take all prayer that didn't stop until God's presence was felt, healing was realized or a way distinctly pointed out. Some colleagues joked about wearing out knee pads....

But I am back in wonderland - wondering how my next steps will develop. I am re-inventing myself as well, and in a way that complements the width of my former experience with an opportunity to develop the depth of an understanding of our Father/Mother God and us - Her/His children. My experience includes a literal embrace of the world. Added to that is my current world full of family, art, the woods,and the blessed benefit of time to pray and ponder. Opportunities to experience a different sense of time to listen and be quiet; to act, to do and to heal in the quiet guidance of the love of God.

My newest wonder is to develop the practice of Christian Science in my own life and share with others as a Christian Science practitioner. I take patients. I have office hours and a website. I put CS after my name and tell people at parties what my new line of work is. I make myself available to others and together we fight demons and wrestle with obstacles and stand back to see God work and see the glorious possibilities that exist by understanding - even more - by experiencing the transforming power of Love. We will grow understand the minutiae and omnipresence of this Life force. How wonder-full is that?

I am again tremendously grateful for the space I now have to do this. Life is so rich. So varied. So infinite. So full of wonder. I am looking forward to hearing from you all!

Kim, CS


No comments: