Pages

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Eating well so that others may eat well

(Jill Carroll update below)

If one were to mix all these qualities together for an ideal business: innovation, enlightened motives, a few solutions to multiple world problems, commitment to increase global health, responsibility and accountability, and then come up with a business that does all those things - I think you would end up with CalTransfer.

As they state in their website,

"Calorie Transfer (or CalTransfer) is a concept that will unite the first world’s interest in dieting and healthy eating and the more common third world worry about where the next meal is coming from. Calorie Transfer is a very simple concept.

  • For every calorie removed from a diet in the 1 st world, one or more calories should be added to someone’s diet in the third world.
  • For every dollar spent on slimming products, health foods or vitamins, a cent should be contributed to third world nutrition.


The aim is to generate interest in world hunger at a personal level for as many people as possible and also provide mechanisms where funds can be generated on a regular basis for hunger relief and development programs."



This is a very new, very ambitious project. Medscape, (a part of WebMD) has an even more detailed account of this growing company. (Click here to read it.) I don't know if the people at CalTransfer realize it, but this business concept demonstrates a biblical concept from the New Testament.

"But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality." - II Cor 8:14



This has piqued my interest. I have gone up and down in my weight. When I get stressed, I lose weight, and when I am happy, I gain weight. Well, I have been happy... really happy. And now that many of my clothes don't fit well, I am back at the weight losing game. I have lost heart in this game mainly because losing weight seems so self-centered, so focussed on physical appearance, focus on daily details of my intake of food. It makes me feel like I am a hamster in a lab, doing continuous self analysis. It also seemed absurd that the whole obesity problem exists, whereas in other parts of the world, there is hunger and famine.

But the concept that CalTransfer brings, eating well mindfully and with purpose - to help alleviate hunger in areas where this is a challenge and to curb excessiveness in areas where this is a challenge - this concept is well worth looking into. It involves high ideals and nourishes the spirit. I love it!

I had to chuckle when reading about CalTransfer. I immediately thought, "Oh this is just like Mary Baker Eddy's quote 'The rich in (calories) help the poor in (calories) in one grand brotherhood'!" Actually, her full quote is much more encompassing of the equality of all who are a part of the "one grand brotherhood" ! On page 518 of Science and Health with Key to the Scriputres, Mary Baker Eddy writes,

The rich in spirit help the poor in one grand brotherhood, all having the same Principle, or Father; and blessed is that man who seeth his brother's need and supplieth it, seeking his own in another's good. Love giveth to the least spiritual idea might, immortality, and goodness, which shine through all as the blossom shines through the bud. All the varied expressions of God reflect health, holiness, immortality — infinite Life, Truth, and Love.

Click here for an update on Jill Carroll from the Christian Science Monitor,
here for the website of one of
Jill's friends that includes English
translations of other Arabic news articles when available,
and here for a
healing thrust to these current events.


Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.
For more information, visit kimckorinek.com or contact Kim directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

1 comment:

Laura said...

great entry! great "food" for thought.

hearts,
Laura