Pages

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

a lifetime of firsts - revisited

I am giving a lot of thought to parenting and celebrating how my kids and other kids I love are seeking out some wonderful experiences. ( I am tracking six of them: three are gone to all corners of the world, and antoher three are waiting to go within the next two weeks.) This blog, written about two years ago, has a message I am appreciating anew.

One day I got this bit of news from an old friend who had an announcement to make. She wrote:


Hi everyone,

This was a big morning for me and my 6'2" baby ... my son climbed into our car and drove himself to school today for the first time. ... It's like watching him take his first step, first day of kindergarten, first time walking to school alone, first time I left him at home alone while I ran to the grocery store ... all those big "firsts" that just seem to keep coming, an entire lifetime of firsts that bring us all joy and a little
trepidation!

Love, M.



This set me back to remembering all my kids' firsts. But then I started thinking how we are always involved in firsts. My first kiss, my first passport, our first house, first this, first that, etc. etc. etc.

Well of course! Life is a self creative force -- the "seed within itself" - and we reflect God as Life. What this means then is that our lives are ever progressing - "broadening and rising higher and higher from a boundless basis." Our lives are always a series of firsts.

Spiritual growth is accelerated when we let go of the old, outgrown ideas. Like, you can't start driving a car if you are still mourning the loss of your stroller!

I'm fascinated with the variety of Bible translations and came across this mix of translations to a Bible verse explaining how to put off the old man and bring on the new by embracing a type of resurrection in our daily doings. In doing so we are

  • freeing ourselves from the guilty feeling of doing work for nothing
  • purging our conscience from dead works or from those acts that lead to limitation and death
  • freeing our thoughts from those dead end efforts to make ourselves respectable

And, being freed from these old, dead end thoughts speeds our receptivity to bring on the new, fresh ideas - so that we can live fully -- glorifying God to the hilt!

God, as the source of creative brilliance, ongoing genius and everpresent love, knows Herself through Her creation -- us. And daily I m become more aware of how God sees me-- and all of Her creation -- as Her perfect expression. I know that I am not the same person I was when I was a child, or when I was a young adult. Likewise, I am not the same person I was last year or yesterday. I realize even more profoundly now, how true this is for my sons.

Each of us has the opportunity to drop the old worn out ideas for the new and fresh and so see our lives a parade of firsts. With these kids, this is as easy to do as it is to breathe.




Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.



For more information, contact Kim or call her directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it Kim -- you can't start driving a car while you're mourning the loss of your stroller. Only way to go foward is to release the past.
Sandi