Pages

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's resolution: to love

Spiritual resource to share: spiritual intention



I woke up this New Year's day to about three inches of fresh fallen snow. A friend once commented, "I love new snow. It makes me feel that we have all been redeemed."

What a great way to start the new year!

Looking ahead, I'm going to promise myself one resolution. My one resolution from last year:

I am practicing living more simply and more closely to my prayer. My new backbone -- the only thing on my "list" for this new year is to praise God. That's all.



I liked this "list." It was short and to the point and I did it. So this year, on my list, I have one thing and that is to love.

Mary Baker Eddy's take on Love is penetrating and powerful, and individually empowering. In her book Miscellaneous Writings on page 250, she writes an article entitled "Love"

What a word! I am in awe of it! Over what worlds on worlds it hath range and is sovereign! the underived, the incomparable, the infinite All of good, the alone God, is Love.

Later in the article, she gets into the demands on love:

Love is not something put upon a shelf, to be taken down on rare occassions with sugar-tongs and laid on a rose-leaf. I make strong demands on love, call for active witnesses to prove it, and noble sacrifices and grand achievements as its results. Unless these appear, I cast aside the word as a sham and counterfiet, having no ring of the true metal.

Love cannot be a mere abstraction, or goodness without activity and power.

The New Testament speaks of God as Love, a Love that casts out fear. In agreement with this, Eddy makes the point that Love demands expression and that that expression brings us into alignment with harmony. So powerful is this Love that an understanding of it heals.

She writes about the practice of Christian Science:

If the (Christian) Scientist reaches his patient through divine Love, the healing work will be accomplished at one visit, and the disease will vanish into its native nothingness like dew before the morning sunshine.

I remember reading that Eddy was asked how she healed, and she responded, she just loves. Far from being a simple answer, it is that Love that I want to explore more deeply. And knowing that the Bible mentions love 280 times ( King James version) and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Eddy mentions it 121 times, I think that's a good start for the year.

If you had one resolution to make for the year, what would it be?









To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: