Pages

Friday, January 05, 2007

Raising sons








Spiritual resource to share: an emancipating love










(from my former blog: Mothers of Men)

I have done some pretty good things in my life, but none so good ( and engaging, rewarding, eye-opening, tiring and wonderful) as raising two sons. After adjusting my quota of number of sons I would like to have to be happy ( from five to two ), my husband and I have been happily tripping up the steps of parenting boys. I've read excerpts from a couple of books about raising boys, but I think my favorite is Speaking of Boys by Michael Thompson, PhD. Here is an excerpt:

For a mother to raise a boy means she gets as close as one can get to crossing the lines of gender. She will see the world through her son's eyes, and the world won't look the same. Mothers get to be adored by their sons, and that is really fun. She'll get to celebrate everything she has loved in men and help her son to become a good man. She will struggle with everything she has found regrettable in men, and at moments she will despair and say, "They're hopeless."


It will be an amazing trip, just as it is for fathers who have daughters. Your son will open your eyes, broaden your knowledge, and help your sense of humor. I guarantee it.

Its chapters are arranged in themes (like Sports, Friendship, Girls, Love and Sexuality, etc.) and have a Q&A format. They deal with the infant son to the adult son.

And speaking of fun and engaging books: a GREAT book for young boys is Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak; for preteens The Call of the Wild by Jack London ( is there a theme here??) and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

My all-time forever favorite though is Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy (surprise! surprise!). Other books may enlighten me to the likes, dislikes and behaviors of children ( and others) , but I have not found any book that goes this deeply to define the spiritual and enduring nature of every individual and the relationship we all have to an infinite Father - Mother God.








To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Kim...thank you for sharing your insights on raising sons...I am a new stepmom to a wonderful son, but with four sisters and three (now four) daughters I am a bit of a stranger in a strange world...I love the things I am learning about myself through this experience...thank you for providing encouragement and inspiration..with Love, Kate