Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

whooping it up

Spiritual resource to share: laughter


Inspired by buddy blogger Laura’s post on Happiness last Monday, I started giving some serious thought to laughter. Check out laughing in Singapore, Germany and near my home town in Minnesota.

Now, for those of you who checked out these links, I’ll bet you started laughing. And in the home town link, you probably were aware of how often the effects of laughter were analyzed from a material and emotional basis. It was interesting. But what I am interested in is the fact that we laugh.

I think we laugh because we are spiritual. And inherent in our spiritual origin is the fact that life always triumphs. Life always wins out. In fact, part of the definition of joy includes the understanding of the triumph of life. Laughter breaks down any hypnotic hold of hopelessness, worry or self-doubt, and it helps you see the light again.

In Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy explains this:

The substance, Life, intelligence, Truth, and Love, which constitute Deity, are reflected by his creation; and when we subordinate the false testimony of the corporeal senses to the facts of Science, we shall see this true likeness and reflection everywhere.
A true story: I was working long and hard on a problem. The more I worked, the more elusive the solution seemed to be. I kept asking myself -- Is there something more? Something more I should be reading, understanding, grokking? And if I just knew what that unknown thing was, I would do it, and then I’d have my answer. This type of thinking is similar to trying to fill a hole with everything you don't have.

My husband must have seen this dark cloud of circuitous thinking over my head and suggested we go out for a walk, where he started to do or say whatever he could to make me laugh. It worked. I laughed. The hypnotic hold broke. And I could see that, once again, our solution is not the accomplishment of human understanding, but in the yielding to man's unity with Truth and Love. God is so very good.

So, go ahead! Subordinate that false testimony of the corporeal senses to the facts of Science today, and you will see His true likeness and reflection everywhere!

Another fun fact from the links above says that on average, children laugh 400 times a day (click here to see a real laughing champion) and adults only laugh 17 times a day. Here’s your challenge today – get yourself caught up with the kids and laugh your head off.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I love, love love that laughing baby...you are right he/she is a champion. I have twins that could give her a run for her money!

laughter always breaks the mesmerism...your story reminded me of something that happened almost twenty years ago. A patient calling one night and she went through a long description of her situation that was full of a heartfelt desire to say it all in the "right" way...words like seeming, discord, challenge, struggle, supposed...I finally asked her "Honey, Are you sick?" She started laughing so hard tha that she couldn't speak...when she finally caught her breath she said "I had rehearsed just HOW to say it all for so long today that I think it became bigger than how I actually felt...it all felt so silly when you used THAT word...we both laughed and she said she was all better...it taught me a lot about the power of laughter..

Miles Harbur CS,MBA said...

kim

i love the videos...and your great ideas about this great resource, laughter. There's another kind of funny utube video about laughter starring John Cleese.

One of the first times I really started to "get" Mary Baker Eddy's ideas about how spiritual capabilities, like laughter, affect our health was when I read Norman Cousin's book, "Anatomy of an Illness". He was cured of an incurable illness through generating more laughter and happiness in his life. One of his practices was to watch funny movies every day.

thanks for blogging...

Anonymous said...

What an unselfish gesture for your husband to take out from under that hovering dark cloud, and then take it upon himself to make you laugh.

Elizabeth said...

THanks for the great laughs to get today going, Kim!! I think I'll have to remember to go back to those laughing baby clips whenever I'm having trouble getting some chucklees in my day.

Great post!
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Adults laugh 17 times a day? It seems like 17 times a year is more likely. There are some people that are more prone to laughter, but I think most do not laugh much.