Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Excuse me for interrupting............

Spiritual resource to share: self examination


I really thought she was wrong..So many times when I went in to talk to my boss, my co-worker would come in and interrupt. Something was always urgent, necessary or whatever. This interrupting habit of hers was getting to me.

But before I talked with her about it, I prayed. I knew that the question from the Sermon on the Mount would guide me well: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" I had to make sure that my eyes were beam free.

I realized I should watch how I conduct myself. I became more watchful of my own behaviour, and sure enough, I was doing the same thing. Whenever I needed a quick answer, I would barge in, interrupt and ask away. Oops.

As soon as I realized that, I apologized. I was able to exhibit better manners and not interrupt my colleague when she had important business to discuss with our boss. And surprisingly, she no longer interrupted me during my one on one times with our boss.

This was a good lesson and a reminder that when I am feeling critical of someone, I need to first deal with it in my own thought and in my own life. It also reminds me that the most effective self-examination is to peel off those things that are un-Godlike to reveal the man - or woman - of God's creating: patient, respectful, loving.

From Miscellaneous Writings by Mary Baker Eddy:
Examine yourselves, and see what, and how much, sin claims of you; and how much of this claim you admit as valid, or comply with. The knowledge of evil that brings on repentance is the most hopeful stage of mortal mentality. Even a mild mistake must be seen as a mistake, in order to be corrected; how much more, then, should one's sins be seen and repented of, before they can be reduced to their native nothingness!






To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: