Pages

Friday, May 16, 2008

define your life in six words

Spiritual resource to share: defining ourselves spiritually


Today's blog is brought to you thanks to wandering bloggers from Belgium and Spain ! Basically I was intrigued and inspired by one of the bloggers who was inspired by another who was inspired reading about a book which collected six-word memoirs, entitled Not quite what I was planning. It is a fun collection of six word memoirs of famous and not so famous people. One wandering blogger writes:

"The one I liked best was "Me see world! Me write stories!" (Elizabeth Gilbert, who seems to me to have been on much the same track already with the title of her book "Eat, Pray, Love", about stays in Italy, India and Bali). I also liked "Am I lost or just wandering?"
I realized that this was kind of what I have had my Sunday School students do! - to be able to explain themselves, but on spiritual terms. I've blogged a bit about learning how to identify oneself spiritually in other posts.

In each case, we start out by looking at MBEddy's definition of God. Now, she was able to define God in seven words: Principle, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Life, Truth and Love. Taking synonyms of the synonyms, we come up with a list of dozens, even a couple of hundred words describing the qualities of God.

From that list, we ask ourselves, if we are made in the image and likeness of God, than how must God see me? From those qualities listed, each student takes a cluster of qualities the best define him or her.

Try it! What cluster of spiritual qualities or best six words define you as a child of God?




To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

3 comments:

Kate said...

ready, willing, honest, hungry, redeemed, inclusive

Kate said...

okay...those are the six words....but I LOVE this quote from Tolkien as my life in a nutshell:

"Not all who wander are lost.."

it says it all !!!

hugs, Kate

MARIA... said...

I like this one from Mary Baker Eddy, "able to impart truth, health...happiness."