Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A walk with Truth and evil - revisited

I trust Truth and I trust evil. How is that for a provocative start to a posting?

Let me explain. Evil, as explained by Mary Baker Eddy, is a lie and is obsolete.
Evil is nothing, no thing, mind, nor power. As manifested by mankind it stands for a lie, nothing claiming to be something, — for lust, dishonesty, selfishness, envy, hypocrisy, slander, hate, theft, adultery, murder, dementia, insanity, inanity, devil, hell, with all the etceteras that word includes. (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.330)

I trust evil to do what it does best. Self destruct. Having no creative power of its own, it needs someone to give it life. It needs someone to believe that it is real, because it has no life giving intelligence of its own. You have to consent to fear before fear takes a hold of you.

Walk with me along this line of reasoning. Do you remember in the 1960's - a popular anti-war poster that said "What if there was a war and no one came?" Let's take that a bit further. What if there was a ghost and no one believed it? What if there was a theft, but no one lacked anything? What if there was a terrorist and no one was afraid? The war, the ghost, the theft, the terrorist - would be nothing, totally ineffective, self-destructive and thus, non-existent.

I trust Truth. Truth is life-affirming, it is the "seed within itself," and self-creative. In Christian Science, Truth is one of the seven synonyms for God.

Mary Baker Eddy describes Truth in Science and Health
Truth is God's remedy for error of every kind, and Truth destroys only what is untrue.

Truth is ever truthful, and can tolerate no error in premise or
conclusion.

Truth is not contaminated by error.


Truth is honesty, purity, law, accuracy, devotion, freedom, trust in good, innocence, light, precision, supreme, all-power.

The self-creative nature of Truth means that the expression of Truth ripples out, giving life and inspiration beyond its source.

OK, walk with me on this one. What if there was a lie and we corrected it? What if there was a mistake and we made it right? What if someone was fearful and were able to shed light on that darkness? What if we based the foundation of our lives on Truth? We would feel a sense of freedom and goodness, that would ripple out and bless others. We would find ourselves on a rock and feel the stability, surety and calmness that comes from Truth and trusting God.

I had an experience some years ago. I was working in a school when one day, the students broke out into a riot. I was instructed to stay with a classroom full of students with the doors closed. Although the electricity in the air was tangible, I refused to be drawn into the fear and was able to keep the class calm, until shortly thereafter the whole situation was diffused. What stays with me today is how much of a choice I had, and how powerfully calming it was to choose Truth and to not be drawn in by the chaos. I understand better the idea from Science and Health,


Truth is revealed. It needs only to be practised.


Please feel free to visit my site kimckorinek.com, add your own comments or email this to a friend.
Or - new! - call me on skype!

Call me!

2 comments:

Laura said...

wow, provocative stuff!

Kate said...

nicely done...miss you...hugs, k.