Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

my journey into the public practice of Christian Science

Spiritual resource to share: our stories

Recently, I wrote this post up to be included in a newsletter for a group of Christian Science healers with whom I regularly associate. I hope you will find it inspiring and perhaps even familiar.


Throughout my life, I have had many healings in Christian Science. Physical, financial and relationship problems have been healed such as the healing of abdominal pain and a knee injury, and in overcoming grief, finding gainful employment, and meeting a wonderful man who I married, followed by the births of two healthy boys. But underneath all of these happy things, was a growing fascination with Christian Science. I always wanted to know how Christian Science worked and how it could be a blessing to not only oneself, but to the world.

I was brought up in Christian Science. I had the benefit and blessing of a mom who always helped me through prayer whenever I had any difficulty. That tenderness and loving kindness is how I came to understand God.

After I finished my first job after college, I was ready to discover more about the practice. I set aside some hours, made up some business cards, and made some office space in my house. One of my first cases, in particular, taught me the whole reason behind getting into the practice: love. She told me, “Kim, you have been given much, and healing is the most loving thing you could ever do for others.” I realized that healing is the highest form of love.

I continued to take calls on a very part time basis, but throughout the next dozen or so years, I had a number of profound experiences that expanded my practice. First, I became a mother of two boys. Secondly, I accepted two jobs that broadened my whole idea of the practice. One job was as administrator in a nearby Christian Science nursing facility. After six happy years with that job and another few years staying at home with our two boys, I was hired to help support The Mother Church’s wider world-wide distribution of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. After five and a half amazing years, my job ended and my family felt it was time to go back to the Midwest.

Now, I was more than ready to start out my public practice full-time. I started a website for my practice (www.kimckorinek.com) and included this weekly inspirational blog. Soon, calls started coming in. Once we were settled in our new home, I advertised locally, and set up my office. More calls came in. In a year, I became listed in the Christian Science Journal.

In my journey to the full time public practice of Christian Science, I could see how God was guiding me to new experiences, each experience giving me a higher view of Christian Science.

  • First, I felt the love of God through my own understanding and my mom’s example.
  • In my college years, I saw how Christian Science applies to every situation from global affairs, to business management to personal issues.
  • In my early years at the public practice, I saw that love is the basis of the practice.
  • Raising children was and is still an invaluable lesson on understanding God as Father-Mother.
  • When working with Christian Science nurses, I saw the practical wisdom and gentle care of
    Christian Science at work.
  • And with my work at The Mother Church, I saw first hand how universal Christian Science truly is.
Throughout this journey, my fascination with Christian Science has never waned. As this age continues to reach out for the spiritual nature of things*, and we recognize throughout the world and in our neighborhoods that there is a spiritual renewal and transformation going on, we see more of the ideas in Christian Science being readily accepted and discussed without the burden of prejudice or stereotype.

Today is big with blessings, and being in the Christian Science practice is for me the most loving thing I can do for myself, my family and the world.
















*See Miscellaneous Writings, p. 232:6







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: