Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

the natural nature of companionship

Spiritual resource to share: companionship

I just had an "aha!" about relationships. From the book of Genesis, we read that "...God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

It has struck me that male and female were created at the same time. So then I reasoned that we are created in relationship already. Having relationships to one another is our natural state.

This is echoed in the first two words of the Lords Prayer that starts out: "Our Father...." This shows that we share a common heritage with others. It also points out that getting our relationship to God - our Father - right, lays the groundwork for getting all of our relationships right.

It is characteristic that Life -another word for God- demands expression and part of that expression is in relationship to others (kind of like John Donne's "No man is an island...."). We, created in the image and likeness of God (who is Life), naturally reflect engagement, companionship, as well as thinking, moving, laughing, connecting.

I remember asking this question long ago when I felt quite alone. I was encouraged by MBEddy's idea from Science and Health "Would existence without personal friends be to you a blank? Then the time will become solitary, left without sympathy; but this seeming vacuum is already filled with Love."

It was a solitary time, but I got to feel a whole new concept of God as Love. There were mornings where I woke up feeling loved. This became the basis for all the new friendships that developed after that experience. It helped me to see that my happiness was not so much dependent on another person as it was about my relationship to God. But this relationship to God had a very active expression: in relationships with others.

Again, getting my primary relationship to God right, then became the basis for many lasting friendships and family relationships that followed. Wonderful, yes?







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: