Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

"a breathtaking genius for improvisation"

Spiritual resource to share: (see list below)


I was reading a friend's blog who wove into her story a quote from one of MBEddy's biographies. In Robert Peel's trilogy on the life of Mary Baker Eddy, Mary Baker Eddy: The Years of Authority, Peel shares MBEddy's criteria for the workers in her household. They are to have:


  • close attention to detail
  • strict neatness and order
  • a simplified and systematic way of life
  • and a breathtaking genius for improvisation

A breathtaking genius for improvisation! I love it! Since reading about this, I have made it my goal to run my house and my practice with these in mind.

So, I find it helpful to have a system in place that readies me for the day. I make sure we are stocked up well in case of a big snow or unexpected guests. I make sure I have sharing copies of Science and Health. I make sure I have time with God and me alone, before I plug in to my computer or go out. I am appreciating more and more the ways to simplify life. It is easy to cut down on our consumption here. I was never big into shopping, but not having lots of choices up here definitely helps!

So all of this helps tremendously and makes room for that most wonderful of all traits - improvisation. Because I have established some sense of order and rhythm in my life, I feel more confident and ready to take on whatever may come my way, whether it is an urgent call, friends calling to stay for a weekend, a request with a deadline that has already passed, anything! This is the fun part -- where I can rely on all of God's attributes of intelligence, love, infinite possibilities and spontaneity to bring out a needed response to whatever the demand is.




To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

1 comment:

Kate said...

lovely...thanks for the link...love, Kate