Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

some notes on obsession

Spiritual resource to share: Spirit as the only attraction

Have you ever had ruminating conversations in your head or obsessed over a situation or individual?

I have found these ideas helpful when working to free myself ( or others) of this hypnotic pull.

I always start prayer by reaffirming what I know about God, and in this case, I track with the idea that God is Mind. This Mind is all-encompassing, all-inclusive, and all-acting. I take this further to reason that Mind demands expression. Just as the sun doesn't shine with out the rays, so Mind doesn't exist without its manifestation.

Mind is self-creating and self-assertive.

Because Mind is synonymous with the gentler quality of Love and Soul and the foundational qualities of Truth and Principle, I grow to trust the Mind of God. I see that I am the idea - or manifestation - of Mind.

There is a natural attraction to Mind - and all that God represents: Soul, Spirit, and Life. It is natural to see the expression of Love grow and bloom everywhere and every time I am conscious of this, I feel a release. I learn to trust this power of Love and trust it to be made manifest in the way that will bless others.

I see that there is really one attraction and that is of Spirit. I can only be attracted to spiritual ideas. I can affirm that all God's children can only be attracted to Spirit's ideas.

With this understanding, it is easier to see that I am not attracted to ruminating arguments or cyclical reasoning, or the pull of the thought of personalities. As these ideas only lead to themselves and are not productive (only destructive), I am alert to detect their unauthorized entrance into my thought and can dismiss them.

I affirm again, that the only real attraction of a spiritual idea (me) is to other spiritual ideas. I understand and follow the leadings of Truth and Love.

My role then is to yield to the omnipresence of good, trust its self-asserting nature and let my thoughts and actions be governed by Truth and Love, by God.







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do we do if we have a hard time seeing, feeling, believing this attraction to Spirit. What if the obsession seems to have power and control over you and your thoughts? How can we really draw closer to God and only be attracted to Him?

Kim said...

Hi anon -
There are three things that have helped me overcome obsessive thinking and they are to:
-understand God better, esp. the omnipotence of God
-relate myself to God - seeing that I am made in His image and likeness, not vulnerable and subject to others thinking
-stop giving power to a suggestion (commonly called animal magnetism or hypnotism)

Please feel free to email me if you would like to talk about this further. Thanks for commenting!