Pages

Saturday, July 22, 2006

loving our kaleidoscope of humankind

Yesterday was a day for me to see a broad spectrum of human experience and to see how we are all connected.

  • A friend from the west coast wrote a chatty email detailing her travels, near misses, glorious connections and whimsical frolics with friends and family.
  • I remembered my father‘s broad smile as son, husband and I came in from an early morning bike ride to join his senior neighbors in a pancake breakfast.
  • Another friend (east coast this time) and I talked on the phone and she spoke about the lazy, wet summer and let us hear the torrential rain, as a result of a hurricane just skipping the coast.
  • I went back to the computer and started mapping out the who’s who in the Middle East so I could better follow it; I brought up prayers and spiritual weapons to fight against a growing thought that the earth is rejecting us; I viewed emotionally laden photographs tearfully tugging at broken hearts.

I reasoned: We are all on this same planet, displaying such a range of emotion, experiences. What is it that binds us together --our kaleidoscope of humankind?

I am reminded of a humble statement made by a little girl during the Holocaust, Anne Frank, "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."

Another moment, listening to a story on CNN during the Bosnian war. A hospital in war time with overworked staff. Suddenly, a cry from a baby is heard. And everything is quiet.

In the midst of the horrors of war or in the everyday experience, it struck me that what ties us all together is the insistence of Life and Truth (both of which are synonyms of God).

Life is sacred and always insistent on being life. Truth is always the victor.

Another friend ( back to the east coast again) who brought up her children in three different countries, said, we are all the same, we all want the same things. We all hope for our children, believe in love and look for happiness. We all have one God, one Love, one hope.

A rousing article from spirituality.com includes this idea:

I see the whole of humanity as sitting in one boat, sailing in the same direction, facing similar issues wherever we are. Can I be content with relative safety and calm in Western cities if any member of our large human family is suffering and needing? I feel called to dedicate my daily affairs of life to a larger goal—to work for this world to become a better, fairer, safer place for my global family.



I am aware of an arsenal of prayer online:

This broadens my whole perspective. I can enjoy today – with all its love and beauty and peace. And, in doing so, I give witness to grace and goodness, beauty and peace. And I know, with more understanding, that this grace and peace is not limited to only my time and my place, but for all time and for all places. I can be that prayer who holds the reality of God - peace, joy, power - as our reality.

Together – the pray-ers of the world, can figuratively join hands and encircle the torn and tried hearts of the world and help to lift mankind up and out of the mess and into the experience of goodness and peace. There have been times when I have been the one needing to feel those encircling arms, now I can be there for others.

One last thought from Mary Baker Eddy's writings:

The rich in spirit help the poor in one grand brotherhood, all having the same Principle, or Father; and blessed is that man who seeth his brother's
need and supplieth it, seeking his own in another's good
.


I get it.


For more information, contact Kim or call her directly via skype!

Get Skype and call me for free.

No comments: