Pages

Monday, July 31, 2006

the call for moral courage/peace in the Middle East

Excuse me while I pray myself out of some angst. Peace in the Middle East is the hardest challenge I have had to pray about. Sometimes I feel I do not recognize the country I was born in. The ethnocentric view of democracy, moral frailty and double speak of our leaders has been deeply disturbing.

Why is there no ceasefire? "Thou shalt not kill" is good enough for me. Is it not good enough for all? Kofi Annan's cry is my question - cannot we stand together and demand a ceasefire? This is insanity. "Complete deadlock", one newspaper writes. Another comments that the US is fast losing any credibility as an honest broker for peace. I do not want to be counted among those in the indifferent West.

These are some of the ideas I have been praying with:

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

In the book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy writes,

In patient obedience to a patient God, let us labor to dissolve with the universal
solvent of Love the adamant of error,— self-will, self-justification, and self-love,—which wars against spirituality and is the law of sin and death.


This demands plunging beneath the surface of the swirling of chaos and politics to get to the primitive core of who we are -- as spiritual beings, -- children of God. Mary Baker Eddy writes of moral courage :


Moral courage is "the lion of the tribe of Juda," the king of the mental realm. Free and fearless it roams in the forest. Undisturbed it lies in the open field, or rests in "green pastures, . . . beside the still waters." In the figurative transmission from the divine thought to the human, diligence, promptness, and perseverance are likened to "the cattle upon a thousand hills." They carry the baggage of stern resolve, and keep pace with highest purpose. Tenderness accompanies all the might imparted by Spirit. The individuality created by God is not carnivorous, as witness the millennial estate pictured by Isaiah:-- The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, And the leopard shall lie down with the kid; And the calf and the young lion, and the fatling together; And a little child shall lead them.


Good is not helpless. Love is omnipotent. I say these to myself first almost as a mantra, then until I can understand it, recognize the authority and power of God as Love in my own life, and extrapolate it to see it for all life.

The power of Christian Science and divine Love is omnipotent. It is indeed adequate
to unclasp the hold and to destroy disease, sin, and death.



It is a time for noble actions. Government leaders cannot be blinded into a type of moral idiocy by using human lives as a means towards political ends. Mankind is not devoid of nobility. In fact, the growing outcry peace is evidence of man's natural inclination to peace and harmony. Why? We are made of that stuff. War, hatred , envy and revenge cannot overwhelm what is omnipotent, that is Love.

I continue to pray, and write to help clarify my thoughts. Please feel free to post your own prayers. Prayer, based on an all-inclusive Love, can move mountains.

No comments: