Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

saving Rocket J. Squirrel

Spiritual resource to share: choosing life

I saved a life last week. And it felt so good. The whole incident was a reminder of another one of life's lessons to choose life.

I was taking a little hike when I saw a little life form on the ground. Black, with a long tail and large disproportionate feet, this little guy must have fallen about 2-1/2 stories from above and landed in the gravelly path. He was struggling to take a breath every 5 seconds or so.

As I ran back to my car, the thought came that this little animal was not going to make it. Even when I got back to him, he seemed to have stopped breathing. Right then, I knew I had a choice --- and I chose to see life. Regardless of what the physical picture looked like, I decided that I was going to help.

I scooped him up and placed him in the warm folds of my towel. He wasn't larger than my hand. I decided to take him to our local wildlife hospital where he would be appropriately cared for. During the trip I sang songs about life, old tried and true hymns that have been sung for generations, like "Oh Life that maketh all things new...." and "I know no life divided ....from Thee..."

When I got to the wildlife hospital, the little guy looked the same. The staff took him and immediately identified him as a 2 week old baby black squirrel. They poked him and he reacted. They poked again. Another reaction. They looked for injury and finding none, put him in an incubator. They felt he would come around. They assured me that they would simply keep him warm, clean and hydrated. A few days later, I called back and learned that he was doing great and would be weaned and running in the wild in about 5 weeks.

What strikes me about this incident is that even though I didn't know that recuperation from a major fall was likely, I did know that I had a choice in how I could view the matter. I did know that life is indestructible. MBEddy's comment was particularly helpful:
All of God's creatures, moving in the harmony of Science, are harmless, useful, indestructible.


For another sweet story on the healing of a hummingbird, visit buddy blogger Kate's site.














To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

4 comments:

Kate said...

this is a wonderful story Kim...i love that we share these stories of life...of love that is free of speciesism...hugs, Kate (ps...thanks for the link to the hummingbird story)

Sandi said...

Kim, Beautiful. You and Kate both chose life!

Great reminder. Thanks so much!

Laura said...

great post, love the pic. have you ever seen www.cuteoverload.com? you should submit the photo there, and be sure to include a link to your blog and the story.

:)
Laura
@}-->--

Kim said...

www.cuteoverload.com - what an appropriately named site! thx for sharing!!