Pages

Saturday, August 26, 2006

National Dog Day

Today is National Dog Day. Can you believe that it is here already?? It this has crept up so fast this year! But seriously, I had not heard about this day until today, but definitely want to add my voice to those who love dogs.

I have always had a dog. Their consistent qualities of loyalty, unconditional love and immediate forgiveness - well - who wouldn't want to grace their home with that!! My brother and his wife - serious dog lovers - commented that life for them has always been a series of dogs.

My husband and I got our first dog from a shelter. It took a few visits for me to decide on which dog was ours and I kept coming back to one dog in particular named Jesse. After about the third visit, she knew something was up and became incredibly animated. She knew she was going home. Once the paperwork was done, I got a leash and took her home. She could not leave the place fast enough as she pulled and lunged toward the door of the shelter, into my car and then into our family forever.

Dogs have an uncanny way of communicating. Jesse, who we later named Bones, knew when I was sad, when I needed a sign of affection, which was always there. When I first got pregnant, she would lay her head on my increasingly large belly and look up at me as I was telling her about the changes to come. Once my son was born, she became much more protective. As another son joined the family a few years later, Bones became their constant companion. I can't imagine raising children without a dog.

Here’s a mix of great ways to celebrate dogs today!

Mary Baker Eddy comments about animals:

God is the Life, or intelligence, which forms and preserves the individuality and identity of animals as well as of men.

All of God's creatures, moving in the harmony of Science, are harmless, useful, and indestructible.

SpiritualityandPractice.com's magnificent spread of DOG sites, stories, videos and DVDs. (This is very moving! There is something for everyone - for those who love dogs and for those who should love dogs.)

Stories about pets homeless after Katrina

My kids' first "I can read" book: Go, Dog, Go

Another movie favorite: My Life as a Dog

Why a dog is man's best friend: Wallace and Gromit

Laugh your socks off movie ( a mocumentary) about dogs and their owners: Best in Show

National Dog Day's major focus is to pay homage to the unconditional love, companionship and bravery that dogs bring to us on a daily basis. Whether its service dogs that help the blind, handicapped or other-wise challenged humans, military dogs that serve in wars and public disasters (bomb-sniffing, hurricane relief, 9/11 rescue) or our own loving companions, National Dog Day will celebrate all dogs, from all walks of life.






Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.



For more information, contact Kim or call her directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

No comments: