Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

bright skies

Spiritual resource to share: brightness in times of change
I have sung this hymn so many times when my life was going through some change. I think the first time I ever struck out on my own, this hymn was right with me, comforting me and assuring me of God's progress and Her tender care.

I have two boys, teenagers now, and this hymn comes into thought again as one is planning for a year abroad and the other is pursuing the fall and winter sports: football/wrestling/hunting - sports I never would have been involved in - except for now and only because of my son. So they continue their steps and leaps forward toward their own lives. It is exciting to see them take on challenges, future plans and their own laundry.

I see more clearly that these guys have come to us, complete with a mission and purpose - their Father -Mother God has their treasure. Nothing changes about my relationship to them because nothing changes about our relationship to God. And God keeps walking with us all.
Enjoy the poem!

In heavenly Love abiding,
No change my heart shall fear;
And safe is such confiding,
For nothing changes here.

The storm may roar without me,
My heart may low be laid;
But God is round about me,
And can I be dismayed?

Wherever He may guide me,
No want shall turn me back;
My Shepherd is beside me,
And nothing can I lack.

His wisdom ever waketh,
His sight is never dim;
He knows the way He taketh,
And I will walk with Him.

Green pastures are before me,
Which yet I have not seen;
Bright skies will soon be o'er me,
Where darkest clouds have been.

My hope I cannot measure,
My path in life is free;
My Father has my treasure,
And He will walk with me.







1 comment:

Samantha said...

Kim, I was just looking up this hymm in one of your April posts as a starting point for my prayers tonight, and after I was done thinking praying, I decided to see what your current blog post was about, and what do you think was there, but this same hymm again?! Googling "Green pastures are before me..." is also how I found your blog originally all those months ago. The words in this hymm strike such a deep chord with me, in many ways, that it is just as awe-inspiring and fresh the 100th time reading it as the first. I've never heard it sung though, so hopefully I will one of these days. Thanks for the beautiful post.