Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

a modern day tares and wheat story

Spiritual resource to share: seeing the wheat, being patient with the tares

I went to a conference last weekend. I was pretty excited to be there, but I knew it would be hosted by a person with whom I have had a hard time appreciating. In addition to a big voice, he seemed to have a big ego, and oftentimes would start his talks with negative stories about some of the kids and parents he worked with, and throughout his talks would highlight these negative stories.

This would be my second conference, and I was determined to see this individual in a more loving light. As the conference progressed, so did the negative stories and disrespectful portrayals of those who made "mistakes." I cringed. I exchanged unkind remarks about this speaker with the person I was sitting near. That's when I realized I was doing a lousy job of seeing this person anywhere near how God must be seeing him -- as made in His image and likeness. I realized I had let myself get caught up in the tares and not the wheat.

So I sat back and really listened at what was happening at this conference. It truly was amazing. The conference had incredibly high ideals. So many people and families had benefitted from the programs that this conference was promoting. All those involved in the conference were volunteers and spent thousands of hours every year to help these programs forward. And now my family was one of the many families who were going to be the beneficiaries of all their hard work. The good that was done was almost overwhelming. The preparation to participate in these programs was thorough, thoughtful and heartwarming.

So, a little course correction was in order. Now, whenever I thought of this person, I would think of his dedication, his big heart (he loved his work) and his generosity with his time and money. Toward the end of the conference, a group of participants got together to write a poem of gratitude to this man. It lovingly joked about his ego and tact (or lack thereof) and poured on the gratitude for the hundreds of lives he touched and for the good that had been acomplished because of his dedicated work. He cried. I teared up and was one of the first to stand up for a standing ovation. And I meant it.

It was a good lesson in being patient with one another for any flaws we may be carrying around, and a reminder that it is the good that we do that is lasting and has meaning - not only for ourselves but for others. The tares and the wheat may be growing side by side in our character, but it is the wheat that wins out.







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Kate said...

thank you for sharing this with such humility...love you, Kate

Anonymous said...

You seem to be a very kind person that you had the respect in yourself to listen instead of accuse. Your paragraph you wrote is a fine example of showing respect for others, and I think should be printed in a magazine or new article somewhere. Good JOB!