Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"....seeking (one's) own in another's good."

Spiritual resource to share: Science and Health


The full quote that includes the title of this blog is "The rich in spirit help the poor in one grand brotherhood, all having the same Principle, or Father; and blessed is that man who seeth his brother's need and supplieth it, seeking his own in another's good."

It is a fit quote for talking about sharing the book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. I have been sharing this book all my adult life, and most earnestly in the last ten years. It never ceases to amaze me the blessings I get by doing this. The line between who is the one rich in spirit and who is the one poor in spirit always gets blurred.

I am now in a second Science and Health discussion group. This group includes some experienced Christian Scientists and some who are new to Christian Science. Those who are new in this group have extensive backgrounds in literature, health care and religion. This month's discussion I found myself saying very little, and just listening, fascinated by what these people were learning and how the ideas in Science and Health impacted/affirmed/contrasted with their lives.

As one would question the idea that there is no intelligence in matter, another would share her experience in medicine that helped to illlustrate the illusiveness of matter. Another discussion focussed on the difference of positive thinking and of prayer that aligns thought to God. In another conversation, one of the women mentioned how similar Eddy's comments on motherhood jived with her understanding of Mary (mother of Jesus). One mentioned that his reading of Science and Health brought him profound assurance and profound questions.

As I listened to the discussion, I found myself being grateful - again - to Mary Baker Eddy's discovery and one of her opening statements in Science and Health "The time for thinkers has come." This active group of thinkers was taking on the big ideas seeing how much they related to current trends in society today, and in their daily lives.

I find that with every discovery or inspiration I share, I get twice that back from both new and experienced readers of Science and Health. My need to see the universality, and the breadth and depth of Christian Science is being wonderfully met in the honest and earnest disussions of these groups. And I am richer for it.












To purchase your own copy of Science and Health, click here.
To listen to Science and Health, click here.



To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Kate said...

How wonderful, Kim...wish I loved close enough to come listen with you...and hear what you have to share when you are so inspired.

with Love, K

KennethFach said...

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures will in time be seen as the greatest book ever written. It is the continuation of Jesus' mission. The Christ ideal is always expressing itself.