Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

children's poem

Spiritual resource to share: old favorites

When I was growing up, I saved my money until I could buy my own Bible and a copy of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. In them, I wrote a number of ideas, poems, pieces of advice and highlighted passages in these books. I even had a list of names for my future children (none of which I actually used)! Recently, I recovered my Bible and came across this little poem written in it.

I'd love it if anyone can tell me its origin! I still love this little poem..............
I am the place where God shines through;
He and I are one, not two.

I need not fear, nor fret, nor plan,
He wants me how and as I am.

If I can but relax and be free,
He will carry out His plan through me.







Photo by J Cartwright on Flickr
© All Rights Reserved.

To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Kim...I had that poem memorized (and I think I may have even written it in the flyleaf of my Sunday School books) from childhood too! I think my Sunday School teacher had us memorize it one week. I don't have the attribution, but I think it may have come from an Sentinel in the 60s. If I find anything I will let you know....love, K

awgn said...

It's by Edwin Markham.

Kim said...

This sent in to my email and posted here........
Hi kim,
It was great talking with you
today. Needing a break and being curious, I looked up your poem. It's amazing that it (or different versions of it ) are found on all sorts of religious web sites: Methodist, Buddhist, Universalist and Unity, to name four. Also, the author is apparently named Charles Edwin Markham.
Here are a couple of pages about him.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:hlGO8P58EgEJ:www.universalist-herald.net/Biography.html+%22I+am+the+place+where+God+shines+through%22+christian+science&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Markham

Hopefully, you can cut and paste these ok, or just click on them. (Also, I can send you attachments.)

Take care,