Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

persistence wins the prize

Spiritual resource to share: persistence

This has been a month that has erupted into story after story, incident after incident that tells of people's stories of overcoming adversity to achieve progress and justice. And I am seeing a pattern here.

In this month that celebrates women's history, there are stories around the world of women who stood up for their rights, and the rights of others, in order to establish equality, justice and freedom from violence.

My favorite author and one whose teachings I follow closely is Mary Baker Eddy. Her story as founder, discoverer, religious reformer, leader of a religious movement, healer and more has filled many books and has been a source of inspiration. I am reading - again - my favorite biography of her - Christian Healer.

This last month, I've seen two movies which highlight the true stories of two individuals who fought to uncover injustice: The Changeling and Flash of Genius.

I keep seeing this theme of one hand holding tightly onto Truth and one hand open to see new possibilities revealed.

On one hand each person had a strong hold on what they held as Truth. Whether it was the right identification of their child (as in the movie The Changeling) or the discovery of a law of spirituality (as in the case of Mary Baker Eddy's discovery), their clear sense of what was right kept them going through whatever obstacles presented themselves.

On the other hand, each person kept listening, kept open to whatever possibilities presented themselves.

The two qualities of openness and persistence each led the individuals to a remarkable end. And the clearer they were about their Truth, the more far-reaching and beneficial was their solution.

It struck me that this is much the way I practice Christian Science healing. There is a similar Principle here in that we are all about establishing Truth, which will, by its own nature- like light dispelling darkness - transform justice, discord and dis-ease. It is all about self-denial, sincerity, Christianity, and persistence. Mary Baker Eddy brings this out:

Whoever would demonstrate the healing of Christian Science must abide strictly by its rules, heed every statement, and advance from the rudiments laid down. There is nothing difficult nor toilsome in this task, when the way is pointed out; but self-denial, sincerity, Christianity, and persistence alone win the prize, as they usually do in every department of life.

The other similarity I see is that the nature of the Truth that we hold to must be free of ego or material elements. To the degree that this is done is the same degree by which the blessings come. I find this Bible passage affirming just that!


Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

When I was a young girl, I always thought that I was destined to do some great thing. I feel I have done some incredible things in my life. But now I realize that the one great thing I can do in my life is to hold tight to my understanding of God, of Truth and stay open to how that will play out in my life and in the lives of those I love. My self-denial, sincerity, Christianity, and persistence in holding to Truth is that great thing to do.









To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: