Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

you can try this at home

Spiritual resource to share: your light




It was a long day for both of us. Staying in for dinner wasn't an option. My husband's day was packed as was mine, and we both had projects that involved lots of detail and setbacks.

It was so tempting to be irritated. We needed to talk over a home improvement project and our discussion started out with frustration as we sat down at a restaurant and ordered dinner.

As he was talking, I had this little twinge of a thought. What if, in the midst of a sense of tiredness and iritation, I said something really loving and easy and kind? What if I made it totally unselfish and sincere? What if, right here, with all the justifications for a crabby time talking about yet another detailed project, I smiled and agreed?

It was a little thing perhaps, but one comment, sincerely told, lifted the whole burden of irritation. A little light added to the darkness was all that was needed. A little Christly touch to lift us up. And, as a result, we came up with some pretty good ideas for our home and had a pleasant dinner together.

It struck me how easy this was. Something I'll try at home again and again.







I am come a light into the world,
that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.


sayings of Christ Jesus as written in John 12: 46




To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love this....

Sandi said...

Well done! And how easy - especially compared to the alternative.