Pages

Friday, May 07, 2010

Mother-wisdom

Spiritual resource to share: mother-love


After I wrote my first blog about my dad, my mom commented, a little wryly, that I had never written one about her! Well, I checked and realized little bits of mom's wisdom were scattered all over my posts.

This being our first Mother's Day without her, I realized just how much her life's experiences and values are woven into mine. One of the many things we share in common is a love of Christian Science. Its founder, Mary Baker Eddy, wrote something that rings so true and gives me great comfort:

The beautiful in character is also the good, welding indissolubly the links of affection. A mother's affection cannot be weaned from her child, because the mother-love includes purity and constancy, both of which are immortal. Therefore maternal affection lives on under whatever difficulties.

Here are some of my favorite bits of Mother-wisdom I wrote about in my past blogs. Enjoy!

When I left home for college, my mother and I still maintained a very close relationship. When she would call me on the phone, I knew it was her before I answered. And many times when I would call her, she would answer the phone with "Hello Kim!" ( and this was well before caller ID!)
I also noticed that when I was away from home and in trouble, my mom would later tell me that she felt I was in trouble of some kind and would either start praying or try to get in touch with me. This phenomenon became quite natural and it just was the way we operated.
I came to see how much of this was a direct reflection of our infinite Father-Mother God - God who is always knowing our needs, always there to comfort, guard and guide us. God is constantly talking to each one of us. God is constantly sharing with us ideas that help protect us, provide for us and comfort us.

Two of my favorite citizens of the world are my mother and a former colleague. What they have in common was that they love people deeply and unconditionally. My mother has not yet traveled outside of her country, but every friend I have ever introduced to my parents, from Ethiopia, Iceland, Germany, Cameroon, Colombia, Brazil, Colorado, next door – it almost doesn’t matter where they are from – she just loves them.
Likewise, a former colleague: She speaks nine languages and moves from one culture to the next with hardly a blip. They both know what it takes to be a global citizen.
The best "global citizens" I know are those who love most unconditionally. They love beyond cultures and borders. They love knowing that we are all God’s children and we are all welcomed and at home in the world.


I grew up with the idea that "there is no spot where God is not." My mother always assured me that God is love and is everywhere. This comforting thought helped ease me through many new situations, and it comforts me now. There is no hollow area where God's presence, comfort and love cannot be felt.

Heaven - all that is good - is right here, right now. "This is the best time of life" my mother would say whenever I would ask her what her favorite time of life was. No matter what decade it was, I always got the same answer. She got the heaven thing right on.


I was brought up in Christian Science. I had the benefit and blessing of a mom who always helped me through prayer whenever I had any difficulty. Her tenderness and loving kindness is how I came to understand God. In my journey to the full time public practice of Christian Science, I could see how God was guiding me to new experiences, each experience giving me a higher view of Christian Science. It started with being able to feel the love of God through my own understanding and my mom’s example.


I went to pick up my mother for an evening event. She had been waiting half the day to tell me about her latest "Aha!" Finally, we had a moment and she shared an inspiring moment of understanding more about God. This opened up for her a whole new and helpful way of seeing things. "Enlightening, isn't it?" she winked.

Mary Baker Eddy explains this in Science and Health:
When understanding changes the standpoints of life and intelligence from a material to a spiritual basis, we shall gain the reality of Life, the control of Soul over sense, and we shall perceive Christianity, or Truth, in its divine Principle.



The real story, the primary story, is that we gain a better understanding of how God really operates. We get it. We understand more of the principles behind Christianity, behind Truth itself. And that is when life gets bigger, broader and more inclusive. And that illuminates our whole world.




To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.


1 comment:

Kate said...

I feel like I have known your mom for a long long time through you...all my love dear friend, kate