Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

...and comforters are needed much of Christlike touch

Spiritual resource to share: a spiritual dimension of care

When my mother needed care, my dad, my husband and I were well prepared to give her what she needed. But we soon found calling others for additional support was needed. This new support was both surprising and refreshing!

In one instance, I called a Christian Science nurse to ask for ideas in how to prepare food. She gave me some inspiring ways to think about food as well as practical ways to prepare the food done in a way that was normal and natural.

By the end of our phone conversation, I had not only new meals I could prepare, but also an entirely inspired way of looking at food. Gone were the overly processed foods, replaced by fresh and whole foods. Variety and appropriate proportions, balance and color all became a part of preparing nourishing food for my mom. Preparing a meal became an act of love, seasoned with an expectancy of healing and a return to normal eating.

This was probably a small part in that Christian Science nurse's day. But to me, it gave me a renewed energy and even a sense of fun to our job of caring for my mom. This tender touch helped to break any sense of monotony or routine and brought it to a fresh and healing perspective.

This poem captures the tenderness of Christly caring for one another that I found so helpful.

Ask God to give thee skill
In comfort's art;
That thou may'st consecrated be
And set apart
Unto a life of sympathy.
For heavy is the weight of ill
In every heart;
And comforters are needed much
Of Christlike touch.

Poem by AE Hamilton
(as shared on page 95 in Retrospection and Introspection by
Mary Baker Eddy)






To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: