Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christian Science Nursing: Foundation for our Community of Care

Spiritual resource to share: the elegance and effectiveness of Christian Science nursing in healing


photo from http://csncommission.org/christian-science-nursing/

In October, I gave the keynote address for the Annual Meeting of Beacon Haven, a courageous Christian Science nursing facility that just completed its ambitious building project last year. I was able to recognize this and the many years this community has faithfully and consistently provided care for those relying on Christian Science for healing.

To read the full text of the talk, please click here.  I've included some excerpts from the talk below:


This talk was part of a trilogy of talks on Christian Science Nursing I have given to Nursing Organizations in the Midwest. Each one carries the same message from a different angle with similar and different points, all in an effort to help raise the profile of Christian Science nursing in our movement and the world. So I was very grateful for the opportunity to speak on this topic: Christian Science Nursing: the Foundation for our Community of Care.

With health care reform issues taking over headlines and with the growing claim that western medicine is the only way to experience true healing, it is time that we all be able to fully answer the question that many are asking us: How do Christian Scientists care for one another?


In order to answer the question – how do we care for one another, we’ll answer within the framework of the Christian Science nurse and look at two topics:

1. What kind of community of care exists? and
2. What impact does the model of the Christian Science nurse have on healing – ourselves, our churches and our larger communities?

Christian Science nursing has a fixed role in the fulfillment of our Church mission "to reinstate Christianity and its lost element of healing."

This is a “roll up your sleeves” type of Christianity; it is boldness and meekness combined; it is “the tender word and Christian encouragement”; it is “pitiful patience with another’s fears and the removal of them”, it is “legitimate Christian Science, aflame with divine Love”.

Each Church by-law, including Christian Science nursing, is all about quick and complete healing because it “invigorates our capacity to heal the sick.”


Nursing is not an isolated activity of church. Nor is nursing only for a certain age group, nor does it only happen in a facility. It is for anyone at any time at any place.


I could be a poster child for the benefits of Christian Science nursing! I believe that between my family and me, we have experienced Christian Science nursing under the widest variety of situations and covering every stage of life!

When starting off in college, I took a part-time job as a Christian Science nurse’s aide and learned the basics of how to create a healing atmosphere, how to spiritualize every single caring activity and how to support healing under every condition. This laid down a foundation for how I cared for myself, my home and others, and later, for my Christian Science practice.

When we were starting our family, I called a nurse to ask questions about care for myself during pregnancy and she helped with practical and inspired ideas over the phone.


We asked a Christian Science nurse to be present with us at the hospital during the birth of one of our sons. When things were getting overwhelming and frustrating for me, the nurse’s calm presence helped let harmony prevail and the birth went forward naturally.

When raising our two sons, we relied on the experience of a Christian Science nurse who wrote a book which shared practical ideas like schedules, food, and activities along with clear metaphysical ideas on the role of parents. This gave me the confidence that I would know what to do with my babies from the very first day they arrived – AND for all the days that followed.

After we moved our young family across the country, my husband injured his back, totally incapacitating him. We called a nursing facility for admission. The tangible presence of Love and the prompt unworried attention to his needs led to a complete recovery in three days.


A couple of times, when I needed a little break from routine and needed some focused study, I came and stayed at a nursing facility as a Rest and Study guest. It became a home away from home and when I left, I was rejuvenated.


Some time ago, I called on a Christian Science nurse for helpful ideas about preparing food for my mom when we were caring for her at home. Her take on food preparation was fresh, fun and inspiring. Preparing a meal became an act of love.


Another nurse was present when my mother passed on, affirming, just as did the Christian Science nurse who attended my son’s birth, the wonder of eternal life.

In each situation and at every stage of life the Christian Science nursing approach to care helped guide and discipline my thought toward healing in Christian Science and I gained a greater sense of God’s infinite readiness, tenderness and love.

Our firm foundation to caring for one another sets a standard that blesses all.

We can confidently answer the question of a family member, a legislator, a doctor, ethicist or college student “How do we care for one another?” by realizing that our community of care has a solid history and a firm and tested foundation.


The Christian Science practitioners, Christian Science nurses,  facilities and services, and caring members put a face on this community. In this community of caring, we are daily proving that there is a way to nurse and to heal wholly based on spiritual principles and this heals us, enlivens our churches and shows the world the highest form of care.

To read the full text of the talk, please click here. 














Thank you!

No comments: