Pages

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Even the night shall be light around me

Spiritual resource to share: safety and freedom from oppression



Picture a winter scene with a field, a stand of trees and a creek running through those trees. Now sprinkle it all with glittery snow.


Up in the northern part of the northern hemisphere, our nights are long. Nights are when the glitter goes back up to the sky against the dark clear night. The peace and security are tangible.

Nighttime brings me back to a time when I was attending a rally with a friend called “Take Back the Night” in downtown Minneapolis, a rally supporting and celebrating the victory that many had experienced overcoming situations of abuse.




It was a clear night. And the speakers for the rally gave equally clear and powerful denunciations of the abuses suffered by many, but also resounding victory cheers for so many who overcame these challenges. Many women wore their victories as banners across their chests, poignant reminders of the strength and courage that we all have.


There was beauty, clarity, and an awe-inspiring peace present that night. This comes from a profound place of having overcome the most perverse obstacles and realizing that one’s purity is power, incapable of ever being tainted.


I walked home that night crossing a city park known for its crime. I walked home feeling a freedom and safety not normally expected for that time of night and in that area.


That same feeling of peace and security is with us at all times: at night, and in our own times of night, darkness and despair; in all places: rural or downtown.


King David, of Bible fame, included a song now known as Psalms 139 that includes these lines describing the comforting and protecting presence of God, Love:


Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?


If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.


If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;


Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.


If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

__________________________


For more info on Take Back the Night event and organization, go to www.takebackthenight.org/

To read another blog on this topic go to Purity - a Fixed Fact

No comments: