Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

breathing deeply

Spiritual resource to share: prayer

It’s been a heat wave. It was +20º F ( -7 º C) yesterday, a welcome break from our -20ºF ( -29 º C) we’ve had recently. I went cross county skiing. It was gorgeous: wide blue sky and sunny above with just a little wind waving through the trees. After a mile or two, I stopped. I listened.


There is something tangible about silence in the wilderness. Wordlessly, nature communicates its grandeur, order and beauty. I took a deep breath. I could feel the pure cold air going down, replacing what was there with freshness and life. I breathed deeply again. Same exhilarating freshness. It was right there for me to take in. I acknowledged it all and realized my part in nature’s playgrounds.

I’ve been told that Christian Science healing is not about human accomplishment, but about divine acknowledgement. I don’t personally make God more grand, more omnipotent, more loving that She already is. It doesn't matter how many hours of study I have, or how many degrees I’ve mastered. God is the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-acting, all-wise, omnipotent Truth.


I can acknowledge and grow to understand God more and more. Study and prayer time help me to acknowledge and recognize God’s handiwork. Wordlessly, God communicates tender loving care, opportunities for growth and a tangible calm.

Prayer is a deep breath, replacing tiredness with joy and restlessness with purpose. God’s love and order and grace are right there for us to take in. We can acknowledge this and take part in God’s holy purpose for us right now.

 

No comments: