Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The DaVinci Discussion

Oh - major delight! I have been following the book sales of The DaVinci Code (called the "brain candy" of books by The Chicago Tribune) ever since it came out, monitoring its impact in largely Catholic countries. (Prior to my new job now, I was in publishing - working in international sales of spirituality books.) Now that it is out on the screen, I 've been keenly aware of the second wave of hoopla, this time in the USA. To me, it is fascinating.

Why?

This book of fiction has touched on a raw nerve:

  • There are growing groups of earnest seekers for Truth pushing the envelope of what is means to be religious and dumping old unresponsive creeds.
  • The emergence of the role the feminine in the church is l o n g overdue for a major makeover.
  • Spiritual activism is on the rise.
  • Pentecostalism has taken off in the southern hemisphere. This is a result for the search for a practical Christianity and includes people and loves them.


Drop into these currents of thought "The Da Vinci Code" and one doesn't even have to stir - it provides its own stirring!

There are two things that help me watch this scramble and emergence of articulated arguments and positioning at a distance:

1. "Wherefore, by their fruits, ye shall know them" I have been studying Jesus' works and committing myself to learn to heal as Jesus did. I am understanding this method of healing more and more. It is the inspiration from Jesus Christ and the fact that what he has taught is still very relevant today that is central to my faith and practice.

2. I grew up praying to Father-Mother God. In Christian Science, God is understood as a Love, Spirit and Principle. These qualities are expressed with the tenderness of a mother and the authority of a father. I always felt and experienced that the role of the feminine in church is natural.

But the biggest delight is that all of these issues are out in the open marketplace being discussed. Beliefnet.org is all over this issue for those of you who want to get right in the thick of the discussion.

The DaVinci Code and the resulting discussions are like being in a thunderstorm against a backdrop of the northern lights: awesome power, releases of tension, clarifications and the beautiful and arduous working out of what it means to be a seeker of Truth on this planet.

Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.
For more information,
contact Kim or call her directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved "The DaVinci Code"! What a great read. And it is fun to watch how it is stirring up thought. My favorite piece that is causing this stirring is the elevation of the role of women - in Jesus time and with his crowd and in today's spiritual life. Thanks for the link to hercode.org. Looking forward to exploring it!

elhr

Kim said...

test