Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Serenity and prayer

I had an interesting healing of pain recently where I prayed and could see so clearly the omnipresence of God, that the whole claim of pain was, really, nothing. Pain simply was not on my radar screen, it did not impress me, it was nothing. The whole thought of God had my complete attention. This was where the story is, this was where life is and the idea of God, only being good, was so very impressive that it totally obliterated anything unlike good. Thus the pain disappeared into a hush like a dying ember, and then nothing.

The healing came of course, but it also impelled me ( as healing through prayer always does) to understand the power of God even more. (It seems I can never get enough of this -- understanding God. The more I understand, the more I see there is to understand.)

As I was browsing the net a couple of days ago, I came across this news piece about Yale theologian Jaroslav Pelikan, one of the world's foremost scholars of the history of Christianity, who recently died. "For a man as talented and accomplished as he was, he was also exceptionally kind and genuinely humble," said his son, Michael. "The more he learned, the more amazed he was by how much he did not know." (See AP article) This struck a chord.

This is also something my Christian Science teacher once said - "the more I study Christian Science, the more I realize there is to know." My teacher was a wonderful healer and taught her students to heal with humility, love and great kindness.

Getting to that secret place of prayer that leads to healing happens serendipitously. Here are two poems that help me go there - one poem that I have loved for years, and the other I have just discovered, written by a very good friend.

Enjoy!


Doves
by William Lynch

I want
the words to flutter
around
you and land softly
on your shoulders in peace.
I want you to hear them
tell you of heaven.

Stand still
and they will gather.


(untitled)
by Mario Tosto

Waiting with patience
Is resting in the
Center
Of that which never changes
For the change that
Must come.










Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.
For more information,
contact Kim or call her directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

No comments: