Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

free fall - letting go and letting God

Have you ever felt so responsible for a project or a person, that you found yourself tied up in nervous little knots? Were you trying to tightly monitor progress, or trying to figure out a solution to a problem in a limited amount of time? Whenever I have been able to identify one of those gut-crunching sweaty-palm moments, I have also been able to recognize that I need to lean more on God. Even if the surrounding landscape looks threatening, I need to lean more on God.

One of those foundation learning lessons on what it means to let go and let God came while I was a rookie rock-climber.

After getting the initial instruction, safety talks and equipment, I started to climb. Key concepts saved me from physical over-exertion on the rocks.

  • Hang from your arms
  • Straighten your legs - let your bone structure carry the weight
  • Look at the hand hold/foot hold right in from of you. There always is one.

Increasingly, I grew in confidence that I had what it took to make the climb and I would TRUST this. This confident trust would silence the nervousness and fretfulness and clear the way for me to focus on the task at hand. I swear that as soon as I stopped trusting that I could make the climb, I would tense up, make mistakes, and get frustrated and scared. But learning a few key concepts was so important.

Even in rapelling, the descent side of rock climbing where you lean out from a rock face and literally hop down, there were lessons of trust and overcoming fear. The results are exhilarating! As you descend over a huge unmovable chunk of rock, you literally soar through space!

Letting go of a personal sense of accomplishment and letting God direct and control your life has the same impact.

  • You trust that you have all you need.
  • The solutions are right there in front of you.
  • Lean on the structure/confidence of what you know to be true about your inseparable relationship to God
  • God has you safely in His hands, on His ropes.

It is this "letting go" that makes it seem as if you are falling, but it is the "letting God" that gives you that freedom. Exhilarating!



Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.

For more information,
contact Kim or call her directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

No comments: