Pages

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

God is God is God is God

I was in Chicago last week showing off my home state and town to our son and Brazilian daughter ( actually an exchange student living with us for now).

The first day we arrived, and immediately got bumped out of our reserved hotel room due to overbooking and (with many apologies) moved to an upscale deluxe executive suite. Wow. It was gorgeous. Once we got settled, we ran out and cruised Navy Pier and then went to watch the Soccer World Cup between Brazil and Japan in a Brazilian/Peruvian/Japanese restaurant with dozens of other Brazilians and then topped it off visiting the theatre group Comedy Sports. It was a great first day.

The next morning I was called and was told that my car was vandalized.

The thing that didn't change in these two scenarios was God. I wasn't upset. I knew that what needed to happen was a series of events that I could do prayerfully. I didn't accept that this situation would alter our plans. Good is not interrupted. And God is good.

With the help of my cousin and insurance agent we made the arrangements that needed to be made. My son and daughter went on with their plans.

I was struck by the fact that God never changes. His qualities of poise, equanimity, balance, mercy, justice - shine on just as regularly as the sun shines. I am growing to know this more and more. "It is God's good pleasure to give you the kingdom" it says in the Bible.

It is natural for God's goodness to overflow in a continuous force. And I see it everywhere: in the intelligent design of the skyline, the dancing, yelling, joyful camaraderie of strangers at a soccer match, the energy, timing and connections in comedy. God is everywhere.

So when vandalism happens and hotels accidently overbook, God doesn't change. His law is changeless. We are either seeing this or -- if we aren't seeing this right away, we can affirm this law and see the human experience conform itself to this law. What changes is the chaos to order, the problem to resolution, etc.

I know that justice is more powerful than the chaos, selfishness and confusion of vandalism. And that the desire to serve one another is stronger than the narrowness of greed. God as Truth fills all space. We are either seeing this now, or we can acknowledge that all we see can be changed to conform to God's balance, harmony and joy.

The rest of the trip went just as well. As expected!


Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.



For more information,
contact Kim or call her directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

No comments: