Pages

Friday, November 24, 2006

ironing out the conflict

Spiritual resource to share: humility with gratitude

Stuck in a crossfire of conflicting opinions? I was recently. And I couldn't seem to get rid of those silent arguments in my head that kept rehearsing and repeating a recent conversation and how I should and could handle it better.

However, the arguments did stop. And what stopped it was my willingness to silence these mental arguments and listen, really listen, to how God may be perceiving this whole situation.

This listening meant to put aside my views, to recognize that I am not personally responsible to make people listen to my side of things, and to understand that God is the only power in control of all Her creation. Humbly, I got to the point where I could accept all that.

Humility saved me. That and gratitude for all this other person did. I can't say enough about how a humble and selfless outlook has saved me from other difficult moments, and have even stirred on more progress and love.

Mary Baker Eddy talks about humility as a virtue that triumphs over the flesh, and is the genius of Christian Science. She writes that humility, along with self-knowledge and love, are divine strengths. Humility is the stepping stone to a higher recognition of Diety. (See "The Way" from Miscellaneous Writings. p. 355).

Later that week, an opportunity came up when I could share with this individual a sincere burst of gratitude that I felt for the work and progress being done. There was a sense of relief. Perhaps we both felt a release from feeling that we needed to uphold a certain position. I know I felt calm and loving, growing in confidence that there is never any situation so out of control that divine Love's tender shepherding cannot bring our thoughts and lives back to our native state of harmony, progress and love.




To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

No comments: