Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

raising your sons by raising your eyebrows

Spiritual resource to share: loving and respectful discipline

We're back from a great vacation in Chicago! The time spent together - just the four of us - was wonderful. We hit up theatres and museums and different ethnic restaurants - everything we can't get up here in the northwoods- and had a blast! But my favorite part was just hanging out together in our rented apartment. We are family and we love each other, but it is especially nice to know we like each other. It reminded me to be grateful for the respect and love we share. In an old draft of a post written a couple of years ago, I wrote about raising kids with respect. Here's that post:

Two of my good friends are also parents of two boys. They explained that the dad had gotten the discipline thing down really well. He could just raise his one eyebrow, and the boys would know that they needed to stop whatever it was they were doing, re-think and re-group.

I love this idea! Although I don't think my eyebrows do this, the idea of disciplining gently and respectfully when our kids are caught doing something, well, not exactly right -- is certainly part of living the
Golden Rule.

I remember visiting my cousins when I was a kid. Once or twice, the youngest crossed some line of good behaviour. My uncle quietly took him aside, talked with him, and then my cousin could join us again. I remember the love and respect the whole family had for one another. Definitely a good role model for me.

So, the next time I want to yell out -- "Who left the door open!!" or "Get back up here and do the dishes!" I'll remember that perhaps more would be accomplished if I could just raise my eyebrows.
Love, respect and the expectation of good from one another go a long way.







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it is such a joy and a privilege to LIKE your family and your children - especially when they are teenagers, which in the popular thought is often a time that they are not liked!

On TMCYouth, Keith Wommack (I think?) made the point that God does not have to shout because he has real power. I often find that shouting is a response to a feeling of powerlessness, rather than a true expression of power.

Thanks for the great blog!
Love Amanda