Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

elevator conversations

Spiritual resource to share:
explaining the practice of Christian Science



I probably have had more quick conversations about Christian Science and my work as a Christian Science practitioner than long conversations. It happens everywhere - at a party, at my son's school, being introduced to another parent, in an elevator, while waiting in line to vote, etc. It goes like this:




Q: What do you do?
A: I'm a Christian Science practitioner.
Q: Oh, what's that?


And then we are off. So here are some of my favorite responses that I've given. Sometimes these responses have led into longer conversations, sometimes not.

A Christian Science practitioner is one who heals through prayer.
I work with people who are experiencing difficulties and we pray until there has been a healing, a resolution or cure.
I practice the type of healing Christ Jesus taught and I do this full time.
It is called Christian Science for two reasons:

  • It is Christian in that we study and practice the way that Jesus healed
  • It is scientific in that the principles that Christ Jesus established in his
    healing work can be applied with healing proofs.


And then when people have asked how do you pray in Christian Science? these short responses have helped:




Rather than thinking about God, we can know we are what God is thinking. We are His thoughts made manifest.
Rather than believing in God, we believe God.
Our standpoint of healing is not to find out what is wrong with us, but what is right with us.



For those of you who practice Christian Science, what have your elevator conversations been like?

For those of you interested in the practice of Christian Science, what questions would you ask?














To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great topic. An acquaintance recently asked, "What do you do?"
I replied, "I heal through prayer."
She looked at me for a moment, smiled and said, "What perfect timing! I just hurt my back shoveling snow. Would you pray for me?"