Pages

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Fire, sub-zero weather and thought police

Spiritual resource to share: watchfulness




So here we are, my husband and I, sitting around our living room fire while outside the temperature is dropping way below zero. And we are talking about God and my healing practice. [I know it sounds so cliche - the fire, the cold and the talk about God ; ) ] I like hearing my husband's views on Christian Science. He has been practicing it now for quite a few years and has a fresh take on many of the truths that I have grown up with.

"So, what do you think happens with a practitioner and patient?" I asked, curious to hear his perspective.

"Well, a practitioner is kind of like the thought police. Not in the sense that they are going to be punitive about it, but that they help you guard your own thought; help to bring it in line with what is real."

Hmm. Neat image. Jesus has always given me the model of the most perfect and thorough healer, and I can see how Jesus helped others bring their thought in line with how God sees them. In Science and Health, Mary Baker Eddy writes,
"Jesus beheld in Science the perfect man, who appeared to him where sinning mortal man appears to mortals. In this perfect man the Saviour saw God's own likeness, and this correct view of man healed the sick."
In Jesus' healing of the leper (see other healings including the healing of sight) he touches the person. I looked up the word touch. One definition of it is "to bring to the same level of understanding."
I could see this in my healing work. When a patient calls, we connect and I work with them to awaken thought to a spiritual reality that is foundational to being - bringing thought to that level of understanding that says "You are made in the image and likeness of God, all-good, all-loving, all-embracing good."
Policing thought is another way of "...bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." Or as Mary Baker Eddy explains it and its effects: "Stand porter at the door of thought. Admitting only such conclusions as you wish realized in bodily results, you will control yourself harmoniously."

I love the practice. I have been both a practitioner and a patient many times now. The calm, confident and comforting assurance of a practitioner helps to "police" the thought, remove the fear, while being a companion who is gently waking thought up to yield to the all might and tender love of our eternal Father, our forever Mother, God.



I know there are a lot of you healers out there! Your thoughts??

To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

3 comments:

Kate said...

the day that I was on my way to the post office to send in the confirmation of my acceptance to law school I had an experience that has defined the practice to me for the last 20+ years. I was quite literally forced by a voice to go back upstairs and look up the word "comforter" in a bible lexicon (it was a word that had been in my bible study that week)...when I did I found the definition "counsel for the defense"...I knew in an instant that THIS was the kind of law that I wanted to practice...and so I set up my office with Science and Health as my text book for how to practice this law...and my Bible as my law library for precedent setting cases I could refer to and stand on in the court of Spirit. I have been practicing Law now for over 20 years and I have yet to have a case come to my office that I can't find a Biblical precedent for the Judge dismissing with the Law of Love....I am the law clek in this office somedays, other days I am the para-legal, the secretary, the receptionist , the billing clerk...but never the Judge...and always holding the clients hand....and holding up the clients perfection and dignity.....I think this might just be a blog in the making....thanks for the question! Love you Kim...xoxoxox so glad to share an "office" with you at firm of "God & Sons...and Daughters, Esq."

Laura said...

okay, I was going to write and say how great this post is and how cool your hubbie's thoughts are and that's still so true, great post.

but then I also read Kate's comment and yet again it seems we were separated at birth, because after I took the LSATs and got in the 97% percentile and applied to law school, I did an exercise where I wrote down all the qualities of a good lawyer, and realized they were the same as for a practitioner. so I became a prac instead.

Kate said...

oh my goodness...I think we may even have and the same LSAT scores....what year???

Oh yea...Kim...love this post...still...