Pages

Monday, June 25, 2007

No!

Spiritual resource to share: affirmations of Truth




With all my sons and adopted sons gone on special trips today, my thought went back to some of the special trips I have done over the years and what I learned from them. One summer I hiked up a 14,000 foot mountain - to the top -- and I did this several times throughout the summer.

On what was probably my first peak climb, I was struggling. Oow! Midway to the peak, I was tired, my boots were still getting their newness walked out of them (my feet and shoes had not yet come to an agreement), and every time I thought I was at the top or much nearer the peak - I would come to a rise, only to realize I still had a long, long way to go. So, pain, discouragement, still feeling like the rookie in the group all ganged up on me and I felt miserable. I did, however, know how to pray. So I had a go at it.

No! was actually the essence of a prayer that helped me climb my first 14,ooo foot peak. I needed a prayer loud and clear that could cut through my own mountain of discouragement. No! did it all. So the last half of that climb I yelled No! (I did this inside of my head - I was a rookie, but I didn't want to seem like a weirdo rookie.) I yelled No! to every discouraging thought and No! to every thought of pain. I also took the practical steps of evenning out my pace and not looking up all the time and asking myself 'how much farther?'

After my brilliant and exhilarating first ascent (!), I found this in Science and Health:

Denial of the claims of matter is a great step towards the joys of Spirit, towards human freedom and the final triumph over the body.


I could see that just by saying No! to the emotional and physical discomfort, I was also clearing the path - literally and figuratively - to see what was already there: God's beauty, myself made in His image and likeness, the comfort and support of those making the climb with me. The denial of the claims of matter opened my eyes to what already existed: me as reflecting God's grace, energy, and love.

It's a lesson that has stayed with me and a lesson I draw on whenever I find myself in situations that seem particularly stubborn. By saying No! to pain and discouragement, I am saying Yes! to God's omnipotent power and goodness.





To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this. One could also include yes as part of this.

I say no to fear. I say yes to peace. I say no to disease. I say yes to health. I say no to death. I say yes to Life. I say no to discouragement. I say yes to faith and persistance, and so on.

Thank you for a wonderful idea!

Laura said...

great stuff! I love "my feet and shoes were not yet in agreement." ha!

MARIA... said...

I was grateful to be able to send this blog to my teenage daughter who will peak her first 14,000 footer in a few weeks. Perfect timing and such perfect simple ideas! Thank you!