Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

the surprise of God - revisited

Spiritual resource to share: spontaneity and a capacity for surprise


"Don't outline good, because you can't outline good enough!" This advice came to me from a dear and wise healer many years ago. And certainly, if we accept God as infinite and as the one Principle or law that governs all things, our own limited views and opinions might not open us up to the horizon-opening things that can and do happen when we trust God.

For instance, when my job ended years ago, the whole family felt very good about moving back to the Midwest. Although I loved my job that entailed travel and working with teams all over the world, I thought that that aspect of my work would never show up in the place where we moved - a rural area of Wisconsin known for its natural beauty and tourism.

But we trusted God "with all our hearts" and didn't limit any possibilities. This was a vigorous trusting, mind you. It involved
  • a larger understanding of God governing every detail of our lives
  • an experienced trust that God always takes us to a place that will expand and deepen our understanding of Him
  • dismissing doubt, recognizing and eliminating impatience, and yielding my solutions
  • rooting out and dropping old stereotyped expectations
  • listening, listening, listening and being open, open, open to new ideas
  • loving God like I love family, adventure, beauty, and gentleness
And things did open up in ways I couldn't have planned. I've been tallying up our blessings and realized that we now, as a family, have more international involvement than we ever had when we were living in one of the largest cities in the country. We are involved in international youth exchanges and a high school with lots of international students and I continue to grow my practice that includes patients and colleagues from all over the world.

This is amazing to me. And God continues to amaze me. Life is full of horizon-opening things when we trust God with all our hearts.













To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Kim...

I'm waiting in the airport for a series of flights that will take me all the way to "the earth's remotest bounds"...a little village on the southern most tip of South Africa where my sweet daughter and I will walk the beach together and swim with whales.

Our families are so international these days and so full of "adoption"...I am so grateful to call you a friend...and a "sister" on this journey...

always..with love, Kate

Laura said...

"...wider yet and wider..."

glad to hear your horizons continue to expand!