Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Christian Science, medical care and caring for kids

With a new school year and my sons going to two different schools, I get to talk to their school nurses about Christian Science as our primary health care. I really enjoy this time. It gives us an opportunity to exchange ideas and establish some mutual trust. This is what I have shared with them:

I grew up with Christian Science being our main form of health care. My family and I naturally turned to prayer when we were sick and experienced many healings, enough for me to have the confidence to turn to it for my own children’s needs. Some of these healings of my family and my extended family include healings of flu, earaches, sore throats, third and second-degree burns, broken bones, warts, migraines, and other healings. On other occasions, when asked to do some medical test for insurance, school, etc. or if Christian Science didn’t have immediate results, I have turned to medical care at the request of an official or a family member. This is never a problem, but often leads to some great discussions about healing through prayer.

Christian Science is life-affirming and teaches that, as in Jesus’ time, healing is a present possibility. It also teaches that sickness and suffering can be healed, not that God sends sickness and suffering. So, it would not be God’s will for anyone to suffer or die. Is this system of care effective? Yes. And while no system of care can give guarantees, each continues to work to perfect its art of healing.

Sometimes there is a concern if it seems that Christian Scientists “shun” medical care or that they “avoid” or “refuse” medical treatment. This makes it sound antagonistic which is not the case. Christian Scientists are free to choose the type of care they want. No one is counseled to reject any type of health care over another.

Because I choose Christian Science care to meet my challenges, means simply that I haven’t chosen medical care. There is no antagonism that I have ever felt toward the field of medical care, nor to anyone who has dedicated their lives to the healing and alleviation of pain and suffering. Nor have I ever known of any Christian Scientist who has felt anything but respect for the medical field. We are all working toward life-affirming health and well-being, and, as a Christian Scientist, toward spiritual growth as well.

Some good resources to share with others:
FAQs about Christian Science
What kind of people are Christian Scientists?


Please add your own comments or email to a friend.

No comments: