Pages

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

persistence wins the prize

As my husband and I are still in business start up mode, I fall back on other lessons I have learned about the importance of humility, focus and persistence when pursuing a noble goal. Another idea from Science and Health helps: "....self denial, sincerity, and Christianity, and persistence alone win the prize, as they usually do in every department of life."

Years ago, I was on a fast track pursuing dance. After years of being a modern dance student with teachers from the companies of Martha Graham, Merce Cunningham, Twyla Tharp and Loyce Holton, I decided I wanted to include in my dance repetoire more classical training in ballet. I figured I had enough of a dance background to be able to jump into an intermediate class. I was soon to be humbled.

It was tough. I had to tryout for the class which was done by participating in a class that would be closely observed by the teacher. This class was incredibly trying. First, it was all in French, and second, everyone else knew exactly what they were doing! I watched, mimicked, and stretched my Spanish language skills enough for me to guess what moves were being taught as the tryouts progressed.

Although I felt way out of my element, I trusted my prayer. I knew my desire to grow in the grace of dance was pure. "Working and praying with true motives, your Father will open the way." I took this to mean that I could cherish my desire for progressing in dance and leave it in God's hands. If this was the right place for me, and if this would help me to better glorify God, then this is where I would be!

When it came time for the floor work, where all the dancers go through a series of steps and movements on the center of the stage, the teacher walked around, checking out the students. I took a deep breath and focussed on seeing movement as coming from God and expressed through me. This helped to keep my movements strong and smooth, not labored.

When it came time do our movements across the floor, I flopped the first time. I simply could not get the sequence right and sadly, had to walk across half the stage and wait for the new sequence. This gave me some time to compose myself.

As I prayed, I could feel a kind of joy start creeping in. I thought and reasoned to myself, why I loved to dance! This love removed any nervousness and fortified my determination to go forward! I watched as the new sequence of movements was presented. When it came time for me to dance across the stage, I flew! It was a series of turns and leaps and I nailed each step, each turn. I felt such joy! The teacher, not known for expressing any emotion, looked at me, opened his arms, smiled and yelled out "Yes!" It was a happy moment.

Happier still, I was the last one to be picked for the class -- but I was in! The class was hard work, but I loved it. But the biggest blessing was the freedom and peace that come with knowing that joy is ever within reach and that God guides us to greater and greater joys in our life! It is a lesson that helps me today.


Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.



For more information, contact Kim or call her directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

No comments: