Pages

Friday, April 27, 2007

The scent of water

Spiritual resource to share: small steps


This was my ultimate challenge many years ago:
No job.
No car.
No place to live.
No money.
Plans to have a family dashed.
But the worst of it was I felt I had lost my connection to God.
So, added to my list was little hope.
I say little hope instead of no hope, because it was a little thing that helped me. That was the idea that in spite of everything, God loved me.

It has been several times now that I have told this story about my divorce and how I re-built my life. But today I am reminded that getting out of horrible, dead end situations sometimes takes just one step. And it can be a little step, and that’s okay.

I read this today from the book of Job (which was the catalyst for this posting)


There is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.

Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground;

Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.


Life prevails over even the worst that can happen. Even a slight glimpse of this idea will start us in the right direction – a “scent” of this refreshing thought will get us up and flourishing once again.

I am praying for these small glimpses of peace, hope, progress for all those who are impacted by the tragedy at Virginia Tech, by the confusion of war, or one’s own sense of isolation. These small glimpses are like light in a dark place.

This is so practical, so do-able. A little step, a short prayer acknowledges this light. It puts a wedge into discouragement and lets the light glide right in.

This leaves me with a feeling of authority and growing dominion. We have what we need to overcome discouragement and disappointment. God loves us. And with this nugget of Truth, we can grow to understand that this love is a rock on which we can firmly stand.
Would love to hear what small steps you have taken that have yielded more insight and strength!

To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Dear Kim...this is lovely...I love that passage...the title of your blog, "The scent of water" is the title of my book!!! ...thanks to our friend Job. A friend once shared with me that hope, because Mrs. Eddy lists it as one of the qualities in the Moral (page 115 in S&H), it is immoral to be without hope...therefore impossible! Hope springs eternal! have a great weekend...with Love, Kate