Pages

Monday, April 30, 2007

My church

Spiritual resource to share: out of the box church

The group approach to worship and spiritual practice is timeless. My absolute favorite way of doing this is through church. But church to me is so much more than a building full of like-minded individuals. It really embraces Mary Baker Eddy's definition of church as an institution that is elevating the race, rousing the dormant thought, showing proof of its utility and demonstating healing.

Some time ago, I tried to bring in more of what I love about church into one group, I was disappointed. It did seem that the focus was - well - not my focus. I wrestled with this. Struggled some more. Then I came up with my answer.

First, it was to be grateful for this group and their building. Even if a church only opens its doors to serve themselves, it does at least one thing. It makes the presence of Christian Science known in that community. And for some churches that may be all they can do, are comfortable doing or are willing to do.

But secondly, I realized, it doesn't limit what I can do in demonstrating the larger expression of church. I loved to be with others who love life, serve others, are involved with healing, and are striving to become better at following the disciplines of their faith.

When I started seeing that there wasn't only one way to experience church (ie in a special building with the same group of people), I saw that my church was actually huge! I have come to see church as my church - my own demonstration of church that is as unlimited as my prayer can be. For me, the building and needs of one group can be a part of it. But where that group opts out, I can opt in. And as I have done so, I am surprised at how wide my concept of church has become!

I am involved in the Ministerial Association. We don't spend time trying to get others to believe "our way" or to look or behave a certain way. There is an understanding that there are differences in our spiritual practices and ways of worship. We move on to what we can agree to do together. And that is the centerpiece of our work: Respect for the diversity of the group and joy in working side by side for the betterment of our community.

I have found an innovative way to help, at least two kids, to have a Sunday School experience that they might not normally have because of distance. (Thanks to the out-of-the-box teacher!!) I know there are other kids who would love a Sunday School experience with others, but don't because of distance. So I may have more work to do there.

My healing work is my practice. This is my everyday walk with God and my daily interactions with others. I have shared - and continue to share - Science and Health, and have had opportunities to talk with educators, hospital chaplains, community members, prisoners, friends of my kids and their families, etc. about Christian Science. This site has introduced me to so many individuals from all over. It has made my practice not only local and regional, but national and international.

The internet has put me in touch with other healers actively working and responding to those spiritual seekers on the internet and in their chosen geographical areas. This virtual office of pioneering practitioners is such a support and inspiration! I have met others on the net, who, for many reasons, can't get to a church building, and so their church services are held on the internet.

The backbone of my church is Christian Science. But the groups I am involved with in expressing church -- are literally all over the map! Church to me continues to become a very satisfying and expansive idea. There is no limit to what can be accomplished!



So, how is church going for you?


For a fascinating read about the changing face of churches in the US, read Revolutions by George Barna (of Barna Research fame). Laura Matthews has a great review of this book you can read.







To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love this love this love this!

a big *mwa* from Framingham.

L
@}-->--

Kate said...

great piece Kim...thanks for capturing the vision so clearly...with Love, K