Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2006

If you're not swimming, you're not trying!

I used to do lots of whitewater kayaking. When I first started, I quickly made friends with a number of other new and experienced paddlers and we would kayak on various rivers. On one trip, after having tipped over my boat way too many times, having failed to do the proper eskimo roll to right the boat, I was getting discouraged fast. George, one of the more experienced paddlers, saw that and called out "If you're not swimming, you're not trying!" This helped me so much. He saw that I was earnest, loving what I was learning and he wasn't going to let me get away with being discouraged. And in addition, he let me know that I wasn't alone. We were all trying!

From then on, I could dismiss any sense of shame, or guilt that I wasn't doing things right and get on with what I really wanted to do. I really put my heart into learning and became quite good at whitewater kayaking and racing.

Mary Baker Eddy has a somewhat similar quote when she says:
If you launch your bark upon the ever-agitated but healthful waters of truth, you will encounter storms. Your good will be evil spoken of. This is the cross. Take it up and bear it, for through it and crown you win and wear the crown.

The crown, in this case, was experiencing the thrill of playing in some of the most beautiful rivers and learning the freedom that comes with conquering fear.

In other parts of my life, this lesson was really helpful. When struggling with an illness, an arduourous task, an injustice, or a difficult relationship, I have seen where it is so important to let go - to stop being impatient, or feeling ashamed that I was not making the progress that I felt I should be making or being concerned what other people thought. I realized that I could pursue what I was after with love, persistence and humility and realize that I am not alone.

This all applies to Christian healing and in my healing work for myself, for others and for the world.

 Another idea from Science and Health has helped me, as I have focussed my efforts on helping others:


Whoever would demonstrate the healing of Christian Science must abide strictly by its rules, heed every statement, and advance from the rudiments laid down. There is nothing difficult nor toilsome in this task, when the way is pointed out; but self-denial, sincerity, Christianity, and persistence alone win the prize, as they usually do in every department of life
.

Persistently yours,
Kim






Please add your own comments or email this article to a friend.
For more information, visit kimckorinek.com or call Kim directly via skype!
Call me!

Get Skype and call me for free.

No comments: