Pages

Friday, July 13, 2007

Why does a practitioner charge for treatment?

Spiritual resource to share: value


I have been asked this question a couple of times and thought it would be good to post my response. It has been a surprising issue since starting up my public practice and I've been inspired by what I have found out.

In short, I have come to realize that payment is all about both parties valuing the work, and it also gives the patient an opportunity to truly own the treatment and be grateful.

Also, to be listed in The Christian Science Journal - an authorized publication of The Christian Science Publishing Society - one must devote one's full time to the practice and not pursue other vocations. Also, the services of the practitioner are not paid for by the church.

But here's the fun part about how I came up with my charges and fees.

Mary Baker Eddy writes in her book The First Church of Christ, Scientist and Miscellany (p. 237) “Christian Science practitioners should make their charges for treatment equal to those of reputable physicians in their respective localities.”

This was a challenge to me at first. With reputable physicians being paid via insurance and co-payments, what is fair? Also, I was getting a share of patients from different parts of the US and different parts of the world. How to determine fees for them?

The other factor was that some of my patients are long time Christian Scientists, very used to paying a very modest fee for services; whereas others are used to paying bills for medical, therapeutic and alternative health care. What seemed to be a very high charge to some, seemed to be very inexpensive to others.

Mary Baker Eddy’s Church Manual's provisions for the public practice of Christian Science brings with it the understanding that it is highly valued. In fact she says that healing is better than teaching. "Healing the sick and the sinner with Truth demonstrates what we affirm of Christian Science, and nothing can substitute this demonstration. "

This gave me a lot to think about.......... So, in charging for the practice I wanted to include all the following ideas:

1. Fees for service values the practice from the patient's view – who pays and from the practitioner's view - who charges
2. It enables the patient to “own” the treatment – and to seal the deal, so to speak
3. Requiring payment comes from the expectation that the patient recognizes value and HAS VALUE to give
4. Giving and receiving are part of the same exchange - there is an equal blessing
5. "A Christian Scientist is a humanitarian; he is benevolent, forgiving, long-suffering, and seeks to overcome evil with good." Charging fees should have a compassionate flexibility needed in certain cases.

Another question factored in: What is wrong with a practitioner who give themselves wholly to this work and never charges? What does it mean to be unselfish? Always giving? And what if others try to take advantage of a practitioner’s kindness?

There is something indomitable about the exercise of Truth. It cannot be taken advantage of. The protection is in the treatment. The treatment is complete and carries with it all the right resources. This includes supply, protection, and ongoing progress. If someone's donation or payment is modest, another's payment exceeds the standard charge. God truly supplies us in this work and I have come to see that my boss is God. And She pays well!

Here is what I finally came up with ( This is now on my website www.kimckorinek.com/.)

Charges and Fees

Paying for services rendered is a natural way for the patient to own the treatment and complete the treatment or consultation with gratitude. It also enables the practitioner to pursue this line of work exclusively and full time.

Kim's patients come from a variety of countries and economic circumstances, therefore, on completion of the work together, the patient will receive an invoice that lists the dates and services only. Patients determine their fees based on the guidelines below and their own circumstances. No one is limited in their expression of gratitude – the “widow’s mite,” donations, straight payment and overflow are all accepted.

Guidelines for Billing

“Christian Science practitioners should make their charges for treatment equal to those of reputable physicians in their respective localities.” from The First Church of Christ, Scientist and Miscellany, by Mary Baker Eddy p. 237

Suggested rates for Midwest, USA:

  • Christian Science Treatment: First treatment $35; subsequent treatments $20 (reduced per Church Manual p.46)
  • Visits and Consultation: First consultation free; follow up consultations and visits $40/hour; phone visits under five minutes are always free
  • Travel time: $15 per hour






Would love to hear your comments!


To share your thoughts on this or to explore this idea further, please feel free to be in contact with me, add your own comments below, email this article to a friend, or add to the healing finds and sites on the web to the right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last fall, I asked a practitioner in another country to pray for me. I asked her to quote her fee, but she would not give me one. She left it up to me how how I felt lead.

I think it actually interfered with my progress. I was so worried about it, I could not concentrate on praying.

Kim said...

Hi Anon -
I hope you were able to discuss that with the practitioner! We are all generally very kind! ;)

Kim