Pages

Monday, November 26, 2007

breaking through habitual thinking

Spiritual resource to share: logic and reasoning

Reason, rightly directed, serves to correct the errors of corporeal sense; but sin, sickness, and death will seem real (even as the experiences of the sleeping dream seem real) until the Science of man's eternal harmony breaks their illusion with the unbroken reality of scientific being. - MBEddy from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures

Have you ever heard of the game Mastermind? It's one of my favorite games. It's a code-breaking game in which you use logic to deduce the code of your opponent hidden in a series of 4 beads of any combination of 6 colors. (You can go here to play it.)


The reason I have juxtaposed this game with MBEddy's quote above is because both deal with breaking certain patterns. MBEddy talks about the illusion of the "errors of corporeal sense" - an habitual pattern of material thought. The game also deals with patterns of thought and the success of the game is largely dependent on one's ability to break out of dead end patterns and see the winning pattern.


Here's the analogy: In the game, you start out with six colors and have eight attempts to break the 4 color code. I have been able to be consistently successful in this game if I recognize when I am exclusively pursuing one particular color pattern. When this happens, I consciously change my course, consider new alternatives and try a new pattern. Then I usually win at the fourth, fifth, or sixth attempt.


In play, the game Mastermind has taught me the value of recognizing habitual thinking and replacing it with new ways of solving the problems.


In life, I see the same thing. The downward tendencies of habitual thinking ( like old arguments re-surfacing, mindless repetition, sensual stimulation, thoughtless words or actions) can subtly enter thought and depress energy.


Once this is recognized, I can consciously decide to break this pattern. I give my consent to the fact that there are new ways to think, to act, and to be. I realize that Mind (another word for God) has "infinite resources with which to bless mankind." This "reason, rightly directed, serves to correct the errors of corporeal sense."


Understanding the infinite nature of God and man explains "the Science of man's eternal harmony" and this understanding "breaks (corporeal sense's) illusion with the unbroken reality of scientific being."


It is energizing to know we can break out of old patterns of thought and embrace the wider realm of God's thoughts that always refresh and bring us home to the right answers.






PS - And let me know if you know if you like this game! Or if you know of other games that have a metaphysical lesson, please share it here!

1 comment:

Kate said...

thanks for sharing this...i can't wait to try mastermind...hugs,